Subject: Re: bug#35896: 27.0.50; Gmane certificate host does not match hostname

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 May 2019 12:03:10 -0400

>> Whenever gmane update their certificate NSM asks me for confirmation,
>> saying:
>>
>>     The TLS connection to news.gmane.org:nntp is insecure for the following
>>     reason:
>>
>>     certificate host does not match hostname
>
> Are you sure the question is about news.gmane.org, not news.gwene.org?

I didn't copy&paste the text (because the prompt is not a minibuffer
and here I'm exposed to the undesirable difference ;-), so maybe you're
right: maybe I didn't read carefully enough to notice it said "gwene"
instead of "gmane".

[...comparing my network-security.data with my backup's...]

Yup, you're right, it seems that it was gwene's so I guess it's
a misconfiguration there where they share a single certificate but only
tell Letsencrypt about one of the two names.

Thanks,

        Stefan