Subject: Re: bug#35887: 26.1; global-eldoc-mode minibuffer noise is very annoying

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2019 10:21:02 +0200

>> I find error messages like "Beginning of buffer" (and the accompanying
 >> beep) and informative messages like "Mark set" much more annoying.
 >> What's worse: I see no practical way to turn these off which means
 >> that I have to decide whether I want to use the mouse-wheel to scroll
 >> an Emacs buffer or to switch off my loudspeakers.  And obviously the
 >> echo area and the *Messages* buffer get crowded with these completely
 >> useless (for me) informations.
 >
 > Why customizing inhibit-message to t doesn't inhibit these messages?

Do you mean to bind that variable around all calls that I find
annoying?  It would take me days to identify them, write the functions
and the bindings ...

Anyway.  Would you consider an application like Firefox operational if
you launch it for the first time in your live, spin your mouse-wheel
to find out whether there's something below the part you see on your
screen and get a bell ringing and the information that you are at the
end of a thing called "buffer"?  Or that after selecting some text
with the mouse you just have "Mark set"?

I think that people need strong nerves to survive their first use of
Emacs.  But maybe that's the idea, only the fittest survive ...

martin