Subject: Re: bug#35887: 26.1; global-eldoc-mode minibuffer noise is very annoying

From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 May 2019 23:30:56 +0300

>> The minibuffer is where I expect to find useful editor feedback.  When
>> things happen there I look to see what it is telling me.  Sometimes it
>> is an error message.  Sometimes it is direct dialog interaction such
>> as for find-file.  Sometimes it is simply information such as "Mark
>> set".  But with global-eldoc-mode enabled it is continously posting
>> distractions in the minibuffer that I must look at, read and
>> comprehend, and then ignore.  This increases the editing workload.
>> This increases use fatigue.
>
> I find error messages like "Beginning of buffer" (and the accompanying
> beep) and informative messages like "Mark set" much more annoying.
> What's worse: I see no practical way to turn these off which means
> that I have to decide whether I want to use the mouse-wheel to scroll
> an Emacs buffer or to switch off my loudspeakers.  And obviously the
> echo area and the *Messages* buffer get crowded with these completely
> useless (for me) informations.

Why customizing inhibit-message to t doesn't inhibit these messages?

> So while I agree with you that ‘global-eldoc-mode’ should never have
> been enabled by default, I consider it a minor annoyance compared to
> the ones I described above.  At least you've found out how to turn it
> off.

I turn ‘global-eldoc-mode’ off too, but I think it should be enabled
by default to demonstrate to newbies that Emacs has the same feature
that their IDEs have.