Subject: bug#35887: 26.1; global-eldoc-mode minibuffer noise is very annoying

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 May 2019 09:19:53 +0300

> From: Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]>
> Date: Fri, 24 May 2019 22:21:50 -0400
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> > Please revert the default enabling of global-eldoc-mode.
> 
> Hmm, well I like the current default.

I find it handy when writing Lisp code, yes.

> I find it annoying when I'm troubleshooting with 'emacs -Q' in older
> Emacs versions that eldoc isn't enabled.

I think "emacs -Q" should turn off both global-eldoc-mode and
blink-cursor mode.  But that's a different issue, IMO, which is worth
a separate bug report.

> Not really sure on what basis we could decide on the default (sometimes
> people throw out the suggestion of polling the users, but I don't know
> of any practical way of getting a representative sample).

The only way to decide how many people find it annoying is to wait for
more complaints.  For now, we have only one, and that's not enough to
decide to revert a feature.  Sorry, Bob.