Subject: bug#35887: 26.1; global-eldoc-mode minibuffer noise is very annoying

From: Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2019 22:21:50 -0400

Bob Proulx <[email-masked]> writes:

> This is driving me crazy!  This continous activity, changing, and
> flashing is extremely annoying.
>
> The minibuffer is where I expect to find useful editor feedback.
[...]
> But with global-eldoc-mode enabled it is continously posting
> distractions in the minibuffer that I must look at, read and
> comprehend, and then ignore.  This increases the editing workload.
> This increases use fatigue.
>
> Please revert the default enabling of global-eldoc-mode.

Hmm, well I like the current default.  I find it annoying when I'm
troubleshooting with 'emacs -Q' in older Emacs versions that eldoc isn't
enabled.  But I could live with having to turn it on in my init file.
Not really sure on what basis we could decide on the default (sometimes
people throw out the suggestion of polling the users, but I don't know
of any practical way of getting a representative sample).