Subject: bug#35887: 26.1; global-eldoc-mode minibuffer noise is very annoying

From: Bob Proulx <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2019 17:24:41 -0600

Dmitry Gutov wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > Please revert the default enabling of global-eldoc-mode.
> 
> So... do you not like ElDoc at all?

I haven't tried eldoc-mode so I don't know.  I know that I do NOT like
the over-exuberance of global-eldoc-mode on elisp files.  It is
global-eldoc-mode that I am talking about here.

Normally when I want to look up the syntax of "if" or "let" as is the
majority of the noise from global-eldoc-mode, I put the cursor on the
function and then C-h f RET to look at the help for that function.
It's quick and simple and gives even more information than the syntax
hint given by global-eldoc-mode.  And of course that works for the
more interesting and complex functions one might need a reminder about
too.

> AFAIK, it's a fairly popular feature. And Emacs 26.1 was released a year ago
> already. I think you're the first user to complain about this new default.

I am one of the many users of the stable distributions.  Today was the
first day that I experienced this behavior.  I don't usually make
these types of bug reports.  I usually just suck it up and silently
increase the size of my .emacs file with the code to fix the problem.
I did that again today because switching to fundamental-mode was even
more annoying.

But today I was annoyed enough to submit a bug report.  I email'd a
friend and he is still using emacs 24 so wasn't seeing this yet but
thanked me for the information for when he must upgrade futher.  I
know that there are a large number of users in addition to me that is
not leading on the bleeding edge builds and will eventually see this
as yet another nuiscance that makes Emacs tedious to use.  Yet another
customization that is required before Emacs is usable.

While many people live on the bleeding edge a large number of us like
stability.  I have 3846 unique packages installed on my desktop.  Must
I track the bleeding edge for all of them in order to keep up with
development changes such as this?

Bob