Subject: Re: bug#35885: 25.2; Few mistakes in Emacs Manual (+ proposals)

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2020 16:34:32 +0300

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2020 15:18:55 +0200
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> >  starting with @kbd{C-x 8}.  For example, @kbd{C-x 8 [} inserts @t{^X}
> >  which is Unicode code-point U+2018 @sc{left single quotation mark},
> >  sometimes called a left single ``curved quote'' or ``curly quote''.
> > -Similarly, @kbd{C-x 8 ]}, @kbd{C-x 8 @{} and @kbd{C-x 8 @}} insert the
> > +Similarly, @w{@kbd{C-x 8 ]}}, @kbd{C-x 8 @{} and @kbd{C-x 8 @}}
> > insert the
> 
> It looks like this patch has been severely mangled?  There's characters
> like ^X in it (where there should be a `, I think)?
> 
> Could you re-send the patch?

Beware of the changes that are supposed to "fix" how quote characters
are typeset: there be dragons there.  We've done quite a lot of fixing
that during Emacs 26 release, and found out that there are different,
sometimes contradictory, requirements to have those display nicely in
HTML and in PDF.  But Sebastian keeps pushing for his changes although
I told him long ago they are not necessarily TRT.

If you want to install those changes now, be sure to produce Info,
HTML, and PDF versions of the manual, and examine the results of each
change in all three formats, before you decide whether installing them
is a good idea.