Subject: bug#35885: 25.2; Few mistakes in Emacs Manual (+ proposals)

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2020 17:16:33 +0300

> Cc: [email-masked]
> From: Sebastian Urban <[email-masked]>
> Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2020 16:06:37 +0200
> 
> > Is it certain that the Emacs manuals are always processed using the
> > texinfo.tex that comes with that same version of Emacs?
> 
> I'm not sure if I understand.  I don't know how they are build at all
> by Emacs devs, e.g. which texinfo.tex version is chosen.  Right now
> in "root/doc/misc" (Emacs repo) texinfo.tex version is: 2020-06-25.17
> (master) and 2019-09-24.13 (emacs-27) and 2017-12-26.21 (emacs-26).
> My changes require at least 2020-05-14.

In general, texinfo.tex comes with the Texinfo package, and is
installed in some system-wide directory.  That we in Emacs have the
latest unreleased version is fine, but if someone processes the Emacs
manual with the older system-wide version, they will stumble on this
new feature.

However, I don't know if this is a real danger, hence my question.