Subject: Re: bug#35885: 25.2; Few mistakes in Emacs Manual (+ proposals)

From: Sebastian Urban <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2019 00:50:55 +0200

Few more for INFO...
====================

6.  In INFO 15.1.1 Basics of Incremental Search:
- ‘<ESC> <ESC> <ESC>’ (‘isearch-cancel’) or ‘C-g C-g’ (‘isearch-abort’).
+ ‘<ESC> <ESC> <ESC>’ (‘isearch-cancel’) or ‘C-g’ (‘isearch-abort’).
Because `view-lossage' and `describe-bindings' and the last paragraph
of 15.1.4 say: `C-g'.

7. In INFO 17.4 Executing Macros with Variations:
-    ‘C-u C-x q’, which is ‘C-x q’ with a numeric argument, performs a
+    ‘C-u C-x q’, which is ‘C-x q’ with a prefix argument, performs a
Help window of `kbd-macro-query' has prefix arg.

8. In INFO 17.5 Naming and Saving Keyboard Macros:
-    If you give ‘insert-kbd-macro’ a numeric argument, it makes
+    If you give ‘insert-kbd-macro’ a prefix argument, it makes
Help window of `insert-kbd-macro' has prefix arg.

9. In INFO 15.10.2 Regexp Replacement:
-   Repeating our example to exchange ‘x’ and ‘y’, we can thus do it also
-this way:
+   For example to exchange `x' and `y', we can do it this way:
Although I'm not sure of this, the sentence sounds like there is
another example of exchanging `x' and `y' (especially the word
``also''), but I cannot find it, therefore or I missed it, or there was
something, but it was deleted and someone forgot to update the text.

10. In both INFO and PDF:
   10.1. INFO 15.9 Lax Matching During Searching:
   - such as U+249C PARENTHESIZED LATIN SMALL LETTER A and U+2100 ACCOUNT OF
   + such as `U+249C' PARENTHESIZED LATIN SMALL LETTER A and `U+2100' 
ACCOUNT OF
   AND
   - matches U+FB00 LATIN SMALL LIGATURE FF.  Character sequences that are
   + matches `U+FB00' LATIN SMALL LIGATURE FF.  Character sequences that are
   In both cases in PDF (12.9) string from `U' to the end of character
   name (except `+' and digits) is written as "small caps shape" while
   it should be: code as "typewriter family" (or verbatim?) and name as
   normal upcase letters - just like in chapter "Inserting Text".

   10.2. INFO 25.5 Quotation Marks:
   -    (1) The curved single quote characters are U+2018 LEFT SINGLE
   - QUOTATION MARK and U+2018 RIGHT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK; the curved 
double
   - quotes are U+201C LEFT DOUBLE QUOTATION MARK and U+201D RIGHT DOUBLE
   - QUOTATION MARK. On text terminals which cannot display these characters
   +    (1) The curved single quote characters are `U+2018' LEFT SINGLE
   + QUOTATION MARK and `U+2018' RIGHT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK; the curved 
double
   + quotes are `U+201C' LEFT DOUBLE QUOTATION MARK and `U+201D' RIGHT 
DOUBLE
   + QUOTATION MARK. On text terminals which cannot display these characters
   Similar to the problem above, only this time in PDF (22.5), Unicode
   should be written as typewriter/verbatim, the name is OK - all
   uppercase.

OR... perhaps desired way was: typewriter/verbatim for the code and
small caps shape for the name?

... and for PDF...
==================

In PDF 22.5 Quotation Marks:
    In 1st paragraph, 2nd line: 1st "like this" is surrounded with single
curved quotes, while they should be single straight quotes.
    In 1st paragraph, 3rd&4th line: both "like this" are surrounded with
good quotes, but they have bad shape (normal text), while should be
typewriter/verbatim.
    In 2nd paragraph, 2nd line: there should be straight quotes
followed by their curved types, but unfortunately straight quotes are
curved as well.  Also curved have bad shape (normal text), should be
typewriter/verbatim.
    In 2nd paragraph, "value" at the end: curved quotes have bad shape
(normal text), should be typewriter/verbatim.
    In 4th paragraph, 5th line: curved quotes have bad shape (normal
text), should be typewriter/verbatim.

ALSO (addition)

In point 1 (previous message) in the same paragraph, line below, "(...)
C-x 8 [ and inserts (...)" and curved opening quote follows, which
is good, but it has shape of normal latex text, while it should has
typewriter/verbatim shape (bolder one).

... and another proposal
========================

In INFO 15.6 and PDF 12.6 Syntax of Regular Expressions:
Perhaps slanting word "special" or "special constructs" (I would opt
for first one) in...
    Regular expressions have a syntax in which a few characters are
special constructs and the rest are “ordinary”.  An ordinary character
... for (again) stronger visual connection with word "ordinary".