Subject: Re: bug#35885: 25.2; Few mistakes in Emacs Manual (+ proposals)

From: Sebastian Urban <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2019 23:19:56 +0200

> Another idea is that maybe texinfo somehow doesn't recognize “ and ”
 > and uses ASCII approximations?

Small update.  The thing about quotes not being recognized may be good
idea, because when you compile:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
\usepackage[OT4]{fontenc}
\begin{document}
{\ttfamily “like this”}
\end{document}

with OT4 or OT1 you will get \like this", but when you use 'T1' you
will get l/r double quotation marks.  So the problem may be in font
encoding.

As for straight apostrophe and grave accent someone who knows tex
should look into @kbd{} and @samp{} and @code{} to find what they
have, so they can display straight apostrophe and grave accent in
typewriter shape (i.e. not making them curved), and just apply the
code to @t{}.

I also found in MODES.TEXI - L210:
-example, it requotes text typed @t{`like this'} to text @t{‘like
+example, it requotes text typed @kbd{`like this'} to text @t{‘like
You may fix it just like you did in BASIC.TEXI.