Subject: bug#35885: 25.2; Few mistakes in Emacs Manual (+ proposals)

From: Sebastian Urban <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2020 10:44:43 +0200

>>>> -accent and apostrophe @kbd{`like this'}, it is converted (...)
>>>> [...]
>>>> +accent and apostrophe @verb{|`like this'|}, it is converted (...)
>>>
>>> Neither can I see a discussion of the @kbd -> @verb{| change.
>>
>> (...)
>>    - changed @kbd to @verb, because @kbd surrounds text with pair of
>>      curved quotes in plain text - result it ‘``like this''’, @verb
>>      doesn't do it;
>
> That is really confusing, yes...  But I was wondering about the |
> characters?

TEXINFO manual:

    Like LaTeX's '\verb' command, the verbatim text can be quoted using
    any unique delimiter character.  Enclose the verbatim text, including
    the delimiters, in braces.  Text is printed in a fixed-width font:

         How many @verb{|@|}-escapes does one need to print this
         @verb{.@a @b.@c.} string or @verb{+@'e?`{}!`\+} this?

    produces

         How many @-escapes does one need to print this
         @a @b.@c string or @'e?`{}!`\ this?

I would prefer using @verb in these cases, but with good font outer
quotes (printed by the @kbd command) are "curved", so it's bearable.

S. U.