Subject: Re: bug#35885: 25.2; Few mistakes in Emacs Manual (+ proposals)

From: Sebastian Urban <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2020 16:11:06 +0200

> It looks like this patch has been severely mangled?  There's
 > characters like ^X in it (where there should be a `, I think)?

I'm sending them again, if it won't work, could you download them from:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/2020-05/msg00618.html
?
--- old/basic.texi	2020-05-03 01:28:18.576838200 +0200
+++ new/basic.texi	2020-05-05 23:07:21.487684600 +0200
@@ -115,7 +115,7 @@
 starting with @kbd{C-x 8}.  For example, @kbd{C-x 8 [} inserts @t{‘}
 which is Unicode code-point U+2018 @sc{left single quotation mark},
 sometimes called a left single ``curved quote'' or ``curly quote''.
-Similarly, @kbd{C-x 8 ]}, @kbd{C-x 8 @{} and @kbd{C-x 8 @}} insert the
+Similarly, @w{@kbd{C-x 8 ]}}, @kbd{C-x 8 @{} and @kbd{C-x 8 @}} insert the
 curved quotes @t{’}, @t{“} and @t{”}, respectively.  Also, a working
 @key{Alt} key acts like @kbd{C-x 8} (unless followed by @key{RET});
 e.g., @kbd{A-[} acts like @kbd{C-x 8 [} and inserts @t{‘}.  To see
@@ -146,11 +146,11 @@
 how many copies of the character to insert (@pxref{Arguments}).
 
   In addition, in some contexts, if you type a quotation using grave
-accent and apostrophe @kbd{`like this'}, it is converted to a form
-@t{‘like this’} using single quotation marks, even without @kbd{C-x 8}
-commands.  Similarly, typing a quotation @kbd{``like this''} using
-double grave accent and apostrophe converts it to a form @t{“like
-this”} using double quotation marks.  @xref{Quotation Marks}.
+accent and apostrophe @verb{|`like this'|}, it is converted to a form
+using single quotation marks @t{‘like this’}, even without @kbd{C-x 8}
+commands.  Similarly, typing a quotation using double grave accent and
+apostrophe @verb{|``like this''|}, converts it to a form using double
+quotation marks @w{@t{“like this”}}.  @xref{Quotation Marks}.
 
 @node Moving Point
 @section Changing the Location of Point
--- old/display.texi	2020-05-03 01:29:34.852965900 +0200
+++ new/display.texi	2020-05-05 23:00:10.014126600 +0200
@@ -1629,10 +1629,10 @@
 @cindex curved quotes, and terminal capabilities
 @cindex @code{homoglyph} face
 
-Emacs tries to determine if the curved quotes @samp{‘} and @samp{’}
+Emacs tries to determine if the curved quotes @t{‘} and @t{’}
 can be displayed on the current display.  By default, if this seems to
-be so, then Emacs will translate the @acronym{ASCII} quotes (@samp{`}
-and @samp{'}), when they appear in messages and help texts, to these
+be so, then Emacs will translate the @acronym{ASCII} quotes @w{(@kbd{`}
+and @kbd{'})}, when they appear in messages and help texts, to these
 curved quotes.  You can influence or inhibit this translation by
 customizing the user option @code{text-quoting-style} (@pxref{Keys in
 Documentation,,, elisp, The Emacs Lisp Reference Manual}).
@@ -1641,7 +1641,7 @@
 known to look just like @acronym{ASCII} characters, they are shown
 with the @code{homoglyph} face.  Curved quotes that are known not to
 be displayable are shown as their @acronym{ASCII} approximations
-@t{`}, @t{'}, and @t{"} with the @code{homoglyph} face.
+@kbd{`}, @kbd{'}, and @kbd{"} with the @code{homoglyph} face.
 
 @node Cursor Display
 @section Displaying the Cursor
--- old/modes.texi	2020-05-03 01:32:48.773267500 +0200
+++ new/modes.texi	2020-05-05 20:23:41.217738900 +0200
@@ -207,7 +207,7 @@
 
 @item
 Electric Quote mode automatically converts quotation marks.  For
-example, it requotes text typed @kbd{`like this'} to text @t{‘like
+example, it requotes text typed @verb{|`like this'|} to text @t{‘like
 this’}.  You can control what kind of text it operates in, and you can
 disable it entirely in individual buffers.  @xref{Quotation Marks}.
 
--- old/text.texi	2020-05-03 01:34:10.677385800 +0200
+++ new/text.texi	2020-05-05 23:47:52.987559000 +0200
@@ -421,13 +421,11 @@
 @cindex curved quotes
 @cindex guillemets
 @findex electric-quote-mode
-@c The funny quoting below is to make the printed version look
-@c correct.  FIXME.
   One common way to quote is the typewriter convention, which quotes
-using straight apostrophes @t{'like this'} or double-quotes @t{"like
-this"}.  Another common way is the curved quote convention, which uses
-left and right single or double quotation marks `@t{like this}' or
-``@t{like this}''@footnote{
+using straight apostrophes @verb{|'like this'|} or double-quotes
+@verb{|"like this"|}.  Another common way is the curved quote
+convention, which uses left and right single or double quotation marks
+@t{‘like this’} or @t{“like this”}@footnote{
 The curved single quote characters are U+2018 @sc{left single quotation
 mark} and U+2019 @sc{right single quotation mark}; the curved double quotes
 are U+201C @sc{left double quotation mark} and U+201D @sc{right double
@@ -445,7 +443,7 @@
 @code{electric-quote-chars}, a list of four characters, where the
 items correspond to the left single quote, the right single quote, the
 left double quote and the right double quote, respectively, whose
-default value is @code{'(?@r{`} ?@r{'} ?@r{``} ?@r{''})}.
+default value is @w{@code{'(@w{?}‘ @w{?}’ @w{?}“ @w{?}”)}}.
 
 @vindex electric-quote-paragraph
 @vindex electric-quote-comment
@@ -461,7 +459,7 @@
 
 @vindex electric-quote-replace-double
   You can also set the option @code{electric-quote-replace-double} to
-a non-@code{nil} value.  Then, typing @t{"} insert an appropriate
+a non-@code{nil} value.  Then, typing @kbd{"} insert an appropriate
 curved double quote depending on context: @t{“} at the beginning of
 the buffer or after a line break, whitespace, opening parenthesis, or
 quote character, and @t{”} otherwise.
@@ -473,7 +471,7 @@
 type @kbd{C-q `} or @kbd{C-q '} instead of @kbd{`} or @kbd{'}.  To
 insert a curved quote even when Electric Quote is disabled or
 inactive, you can type @kbd{C-x 8 [} for @t{‘}, @kbd{C-x 8 ]} for
-@t{’}, @kbd{C-x 8 @{} for ``, and @kbd{C-x 8 @}} for ''.
+@t{’}, @kbd{C-x 8 @{} for @t{“}, and @kbd{C-x 8 @}} for @t{”}.
 @xref{Inserting Text}.  Note that the value of
 @code{electric-quote-chars} does not affect these keybindings, they
 are not keybindings of @code{electric-quote-mode} but bound in