Subject: Re: [bug#35880] [PATCH 1/7] lzlib: Add 'make-lzip-input-port/compressed'.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2019 15:47:13 +0200

Pierre Neidhardt <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:

[...]

>>> The thing is that we are not using lzlib as it is meant to be used
>>> (i.e. with the finish* functions) because of the functional approach of
>>> the binary ports which don't really play well with the procedural
>>> approach of the C library.
>>
>> I think we’re using it the way it’s meant to be used, roughly along the
>> lines of the examples of its manual (info "(lzlib) Examples").
>>
>> (I/O ports are not very “functional”.)
>
> In the sense that we define  "read!" and "write!" functions which don't
> allow us to call the "finish" functions properly.
>
> So maybe we are following the doc too "roughly" :p
>
> This has multiple implications, e.g. it impedes support for multiple
> members, (which is OK as long as we don't accept archives produced by a
> third-party) and more importantly it lifts the guarantee that the
> library is going to work as per the documentation.

I’m not sure I follow.  I think ‘make-lzip-input-port/compressed’
corresponds to Example 2 in the manual (info "(lzlib) Examples"),
‘make-lzip-output-port’ corresponds to Example 1, and
‘make-lzip-input-port’ corresponds to Example 4 (with the exception that
‘lzread!’ doesn’t call ‘lz-decompress-finished?’, but it has other means
to tell whether we’re done processing input.)

What do you think is not done as documented?

Thanks,
Ludo’.