Subject: [PATCH 0/7] Lzip support for 'guix publish' and 'guix substitute'

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2019 15:31:59 +0200

Hi!

As a followup to Pierre’s work on (guix lzlib), these patches implement
‘lzip’ support for ‘guix substitute’ and ‘guix publish’.  With these,
you can now run:

  ./pre-inst-env guix publish -Clzip …

on one side, and on another machine:

  ./pre-inst-env guix-daemon --build-users-group=guixbuild

and from there the client machine should be able to fetch
lzip-compressed substitutes.

These patches do not address the transitioning issue that we discussed
earlier, where we have clients lacking lzip support talking to an
lzip-capable server.  As discussed earlier, clients will have to send
a special HTTP header, ‘X-Guix-Accept-Encoding’.

For the server-side, I’m still hesitating between implementing it in ‘guix
publish’ or simply running two instances of ‘guix publish’ side-by-side
(one gzip and one lzip) and letting nginx dispatch between the two.  :-)

Note that we’ll have to adjust our nginx mirror configs to take that
header into account!

Comments?

Ludo’.

Ludovic Courtès (7):
  lzlib: Add 'make-lzip-input-port/compressed'.
  utils: Test 'compressed-port' and 'decompressed-port' for both gzip
    and xz.
  utils: Support compression and decompression with lzip.
  publish: Add support for lzip.
  self: Add dependency on lzlib.
  gnu: guix: Add dependency on lzlib.
  lzlib: 'lzread!' never returns more than it was asked for.

 .dir-locals.el                      |   2 +
 doc/guix.texi                       |  25 +++++--
 gnu/packages/package-management.scm |   1 +
 guix/lzlib.scm                      | 101 ++++++++++++++++++++++------
 guix/scripts/publish.scm            |  84 +++++++++++++++++------
 guix/self.scm                       |  13 +++-
 guix/tests.scm                      |   1 +
 guix/utils.scm                      |  27 ++++++--
 tests/lzlib.scm                     |  10 +++
 tests/publish.scm                   |  36 ++++++++++
 tests/utils.scm                     |  62 +++++++++++------
 11 files changed, 284 insertions(+), 78 deletions(-)

-- 
2.21.0