Subject: bug#3596: closed (Re: bug#3596: NS: wrong font chosen)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2016 14:53:03 +0000

Your bug report

#3588: NS: wrong font chosen

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
3588: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=3588
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#3596: NS: wrong font chosen
From: Alan Third <[email-masked]>
To: David Reitter <[email-masked]>
Cc: Adrian Robert <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2016 15:52:25 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Alan Third <[email-masked]> writes:

> I can't reproduce this in Emacs 25. I don't have Lucida Calligraphy, but
> Brush Script MT appears to only have Italic and it displays fine.

No response in quite a long time. I believe the NS font back-end has been
completely replaced since this bug report.
-- 
Alan Third

Subject: Re: NS: wrong font chosen
From: David Reitter <[email-masked]>
To: Adrian Robert <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 07:12:55 -0400

On Jun 17, 2009, at 1:10 AM, Adrian Robert wrote:

> Hmm, Lucida Calligraphy has 'italic' set, which I assume causes  
> emacs to not use it for non-italic text.  However, I wonder why it  
> is creating a synth-italic entity here -- it shouldn't.

That's right, there's only an italic variant of it.  (If I demand  
italic, it uses it and does NOT use a synthetic variant.)

If there's only an italic variant, it should be used as regular, and,  
in principle, the italic variant should be realized as a synthetic  
font.  Normally what I've seen done there in print is that if a block  
of text is emphasized in italics, the extra-emphasized portions of it  
are then regular.  So you could create a synthetic variant with slant  
to the left (using the existing slant (degree) information).