Subject: Re: bug#3596: NS: wrong font chosen

From: Alan Third <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2016 16:38:13 +0000

David Reitter <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Jun 17, 2009, at 1:10 AM, Adrian Robert wrote:
>
>> Hmm, Lucida Calligraphy has 'italic' set, which I assume causes
>> emacs to not use it for non-italic text.  However, I wonder why it
>> is creating a synth-italic entity here -- it shouldn't.
>
> That's right, there's only an italic variant of it.  (If I demand
> italic, it uses it and does NOT use a synthetic variant.)
>
> If there's only an italic variant, it should be used as regular, and,
> in principle, the italic variant should be realized as a synthetic
> font.  Normally what I've seen done there in print is that if a block
> of text is emphasized in italics, the extra-emphasized portions of it
> are then regular.  So you could create a synthetic variant with slant
> to the left (using the existing slant (degree) information).

I can't reproduce this in Emacs 25. I don't have Lucida Calligraphy, but
Brush Script MT appears to only have Italic and it displays fine.

I can't make it give me a synthetic italic of the italic, though. It
always looks the same.

-- 
Alan Third