Subject: Re: bug#35875: Guix won't boot after installation with fully encrypted disk

From: Reg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 May 2019 14:53:52 +0200

Hi Ludovic and Giovanni,

>> Does your compute have an AMD graphics card that could lead the kernel
>> (KMS) to wreck havoc during initialization?
No AMD but...
> AFAIU ThinkPad T430 could come with an additional "NVIDIA NVS 5400M" GPU
> [1] that is very Linux _unfriendly_; you can check this by booting
> your machine as detailed below and doing a "lspci -nnn | grep VGA"
...indeed:

$ lspci -nnn|grep VGA
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core
processor Graphics Controller [8086:0166] (rev 09)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GF108M [NVS
5400M] [10de:0def] (rev a1)
> Anyway, to check if GPU is the problem here could you please add
> "modprobe.blacklist=radeon" [2] (or vga=791 if this does not work [3])
> to the "linux" kernel arguments and report back the error messages, if
> any?
No error message & still the same issue with both these arguments.

> Did you have hardware-related problems with other free GNU/Linux distros
> on this machine before?
I've been using Parabola on this computer for several years without
problems, but none of my disks were encrypted.

Thanks for the support,
Reg