Subject: Re: bug#35873: Add atomic window support to Gnus

From: Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2019 11:12:36 -0700

martin rudalics <[email-masked]> writes:

>> I updated the patch with Martin's suggestion, and am back to running
>> this daily. One thing I noticed is that (in this case in my Gnorb
>> package) running `delete-other-windows' from a Gnus window will now
>> result in one of these:
>>
>> delete-other-windows: Root of atomic window is root window of its frame
>>
>> That error is expected with atomic windows. I can change Gnorb to not
>> use `delete-other-windows' (it shouldn't be using that anyway), but I
>> wonder if that's likely to cause an unacceptable amount of friction with
>> other packages/user code. (While noting that this behavior is off by
>> default.)
>
> You can also specify a function in the 'delete-other-windows'
> parameter of any window involved.  One that dissolves atomicity, for
> example.

Oh, excellent! I don't think I'll actually use that yet -- I'll fix my
own package not to call `delete-other-windows', then ask folks to enable
this feature and watch out for the error, and hopefully bug reports will
show how `delete-other-windows' might be being used in the wild. Then we
can look at how best to implement the d-o-w parameter for Gnus windows.

Thanks,
Eric