Subject: bug#35873: Add atomic window support to Gnus

From: Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2019 10:21:38 -0700

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> The "other avenue" hasn't gone anywhere, at least not for now, so I
>> would still like to push this. It's fairly self-contained, and seems to
>> do the right thing. I'm getting on a plane in a bit, but when I've
>> settled a bit I'll look at the patch again and push.
>
> Sounds good.  :-)

I updated the patch with Martin's suggestion, and am back to running
this daily. One thing I noticed is that (in this case in my Gnorb
package) running `delete-other-windows' from a Gnus window will now
result in one of these:

delete-other-windows: Root of atomic window is root window of its frame

That error is expected with atomic windows. I can change Gnorb to not
use `delete-other-windows' (it shouldn't be using that anyway), but I
wonder if that's likely to cause an unacceptable amount of friction with
other packages/user code. (While noting that this behavior is off by
default.)

WDYT?