Subject: bug#35873: Add atomic window support to Gnus

From: Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2019 08:11:14 -0700

Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]> writes:

> severity 35873 wishlist
> tags 35873 + patch
> quit
>
> Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> The attached patch adds atomic window support with a new customization
>> option, `gnus-use-atomic-windows', defaulting to nil. If t, a
>> multi-window Gnus layout will be treated as a single window when other
>> code pops up buffers. Ie, your completions buffer won't end up squished
>> between the summary and article buffers.
>>
>> I'm pretty sure I've done the elisp manual cross reference incorrectly.
>
>> +windows (@pxref{Atomic Windows, , Atomic Windows, elisp}).
>
> I believe the correct form would be:
>
>     (@pxref{Atomic Windows,,, elisp, The Emacs Lisp Reference Manual})
>
> That is, no need to repeat the topic title, as it's the same as the node
> name.  But the printed manual name is needed as the last argument.  See
> (info "(texinfo) Four and Five Arguments"), and grep for xref.*elisp in
> doc/ for similar examples.

Okay, thanks -- I'd read the texinfo manual but found that part fairly
confusing.

> I guess the code part of the patch is alright, but I'm not too familiar
> with how atomic windows work.

I've since had a back-and-forth with Martin about messing more with
window management in Gnus, and am hoping to get a little farther with
that. (Or maybe I should Just Say No to mission creep, and try to get
this patch in...)