Subject: Re: [bug#35866] [PATCH] gnu: Add qtwebengine.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 May 2019 23:05:08 +0200

Hello Mike,

mike rosset <[email-masked]> skribis:

> From: mike rosset <[email-masked]>
>
> * gnu/packages/qt.scm (qtwebengine): New variable.

<https://github.com/mrosset/nomad/> looks pretty exciting, which
motivates me to take a look at this patch.  :-)

> +    (synopsis "Qt5WebEngine")
> +    (description "Qt5WebEngine provides support for web
> +applications using the Chromium browser project.")

As you may know, Guix contains a variant of ‘ungoogled-chromium’, which
goes to great lengths to remove non-free software, DRM support, spyware, etc.

The problem is that QtWebEngine bundles Chromium.  We would need to
“unbundle” it and/or replace it with ‘ungoogled-chromium’.  I’m not sure
how hard that is.

Have you thought about this?  Would you like to give it a try?

Thanks,
Ludo’.