Subject: [bug#35866] [PATCH] gnu: Add qtwebengine.

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2019 16:02:46 -0800

Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]> writes:

>> +    (description "Qt5WebEngine provides support for web
>> +applications using the Chromium browser project.")
>
> Does this include the unmodified Chromium source code?  We need to
> ensure that the variant we are distributing here does not contain any
> misfeatures that Chromium is known for (e.g. DRM support) and that only
> free software is included.

The chromium source is modified to remove google services etc. quoting
from https://wiki.qt.io/QtWebEngine.

- Binary files are stripped out
- Auxiliary services that talk to Google platforms are stripped out
- The codebase is modularized to allow use of system libraries like OpenSSL

There is also a rebase patch process to allow upgrading to the current
chromium.

> Marius and others previously worked very hard on making sure that the
> ungoogled-chromium package complied with our expectations for Chromium.
> I wonder what work needs to be done on the sources included in this
> package to accomplish the same goal.
>
> Did you happen to investigate this?

It was proposed that maybe the ungoogled-chrome sources/changes could be
used. But to me it seems to Qt is already doing the right thing
here. I'm just not confident with the size of this code base, and with
the QT specific front end. the ungoogled sources could be dropped in and
expected to work.