Subject: compute-guix-derivation failed to compute the derivation for Guix

From: Keith Thompson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2019 01:19:38 -0700

I'm running Guix, installed from guix-system-install-1.0.1.x86_64-linux.iso,
in a VirtualBox VM.  I encountered an error running "guix pull". A very quick
look at the mailing list archives suggests that this may be similar to
 bug#35723.

Output:

$ guix pull
Migrating profile generations to '/var/guix/profiles/per-user/kst'...
Updating channel 'guix' from Git repository at
'https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git'...
Building from this channel:
  guix      https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git   ea54133
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
1.8 MB will be downloaded:
   /gnu/store/rq5hbb52rv7i9p86kqwd2as4hm8sa1fd-compute-guix-derivation
   /gnu/store/aczwfrfb0s7glkizqs524ssh6ih0vq24-module-import
   /gnu/store/jgs3ahcnslhjgla1b5m2pxclkpb2110d-module-import-compiled
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
downloading from
https://ci.guix.gnu.org/nar/gzip/cb1q91aqw07hkryc6z78sl6sqbzra6hs-config.scm...
 config.scm  503B

       112KiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%

downloading from
https://ci.guix.gnu.org/nar/gzip/7aw8rli88rhhvgfga9j6bv4fg70aq498-git.scm...
 git.scm  101B

         6KiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%

downloading from
https://ci.guix.gnu.org/nar/gzip/qc2q3yfm6z282igf4nh5hl2pv18jscrk-hash.scm...
 hash.scm  132B

        17KiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%

downloading from
https://ci.guix.gnu.org/nar/gzip/aczwfrfb0s7glkizqs524ssh6ih0vq24-module-import...
 module-import  2KiB

       282KiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%

downloading from
https://ci.guix.gnu.org/nar/gzip/jgs3ahcnslhjgla1b5m2pxclkpb2110d-module-import-compiled...
 module-import-compiled  1.8MiB

       1.5MiB/s 00:01 [##################] 100.0%

downloading from
https://ci.guix.gnu.org/nar/gzip/rq5hbb52rv7i9p86kqwd2as4hm8sa1fd-compute-guix-derivation...
 compute-guix-derivation  854B

       138KiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%

Computing Guix derivation for 'x86_64-linux'... |@ substituter-started
/gnu/store/mn3ymm3f2r4xjqf8m9fgmadh6b8p6fvr-glibc-utf8-locales-2.28
/gnu/store/ncknl03pkmamrxg7q9nxi1rn1qhvwbi9-guix-1.0.1/libexec/guix/substitute
|guix substitute: error: connect: Connection timed out
@ substituter-failed
/gnu/store/mn3ymm3f2r4xjqf8m9fgmadh6b8p6fvr-glibc-utf8-locales-2.28
256 fetching path
`/gnu/store/mn3ymm3f2r4xjqf8m9fgmadh6b8p6fvr-glibc-utf8-locales-2.28'
failed with exit code 1
@ substituter-started
/gnu/store/02iklp4swqs0ipxhg5x9b2shmj6b30h1-binutils-2.31.1
/gnu/store/ncknl03pkmamrxg7q9nxi1rn1qhvwbi9-guix-1.0.1/libexec/guix/substitute
killing process 1578
killing process 1578: No such process
\Backtrace:
In ./guix/store.scm:
   1667:8 19 (_ _)
In ./guix/gexp.scm:
    708:2 18 (_ _)
In ./guix/monads.scm:
    482:9 17 (_ _)
In ./guix/gexp.scm:
   573:13 16 (_ _)
In ./guix/store.scm:
   1667:8 15 (_ _)
In ./guix/gexp.scm:
   1139:2 14 (_ _)
In ./guix/monads.scm:
    482:9 13 (_ _)
In ./guix/gexp.scm:
   1136:6 12 (_ _)
In ./guix/store.scm:
   1667:8 11 (_ _)
In ./guix/gexp.scm:
    708:2 10 (_ _)
In ./guix/monads.scm:
    482:9  9 (_ _)
In ./guix/gexp.scm:
   573:13  8 (_ _)
In ./guix/store.scm:
   1667:8  7 (_ _)
   1667:8  6 (_ _)
  1690:38  5 (_ #<store-connection 256.99 6a80cc0>)
In ./guix/packages.scm:
   936:16  4 (cache! #<weak-table 306/443> #<package [email-masked] 6d3d1?> ?)
In ./guix/grafts.scm:
    314:4  3 (graft-derivation #<store-connection 256.99 6a80cc0> # # ?)
    192:4  2 (references-oracle #<store-connection 256.99 6a80cc0> #)
   201:20  1 (_ _ _)
In ./guix/store.scm:
  1203:15  0 (_ #<store-connection 256.99 6a80cc0> _ _)

./guix/store.scm:1203:15: Throw to key `srfi-34' with args
`(#<condition &store-protocol-error [message: "some substitutes for
the outputs of derivation
`/gnu/store/c4ni4sq1sb9vv5w3a06jnbwy2j0w819k-glibc-utf8-locales-2.28.drv'
failed (usually happens due to networking issues); try `--fallback' to
build derivation from source " status: 1] 40e1cf0>)'.
guix pull: error: You found a bug: the program
'/gnu/store/rq5hbb52rv7i9p86kqwd2as4hm8sa1fd-compute-guix-derivation'
failed to compute the derivation for Guix (version:
"ea54133367aad77a9e941fba18fe57ab3e1ab5d9"; system: "x86_64-linux";
host version: "1.0.1"; pull-version: 1).
Please report it by email to <[email-masked]>.