Subject: Re: bug#35865: compute-guix-derivation failed to compute the derivation for Guix

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 May 2019 19:24:07 +0200

Hello,

Keith Thompson <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Computing Guix derivation for 'x86_64-linux'... |@ substituter-started
> /gnu/store/mn3ymm3f2r4xjqf8m9fgmadh6b8p6fvr-glibc-utf8-locales-2.28
> /gnu/store/ncknl03pkmamrxg7q9nxi1rn1qhvwbi9-guix-1.0.1/libexec/guix/substitute
> |guix substitute: error: connect: Connection timed out

[...]

> the outputs of derivation
> `/gnu/store/c4ni4sq1sb9vv5w3a06jnbwy2j0w819k-glibc-utf8-locales-2.28.drv'
> failed (usually happens due to networking issues); try `--fallback' to
> build derivation from source " status: 1] 40e1cf0>)'.

It looks like you experienced a transient network error that prevented
you from downloading ‘glibc-utf8-locales’.

> guix pull: error: You found a bug: the program

This message is confusing: it should report the networking issue above
rather than suggest there’s a bug.

> I have partial output of the successful command (about 1800
> lines). I'm not including it here, but let me know if you want to
> see it. (Ask for a copy of "guix-bug2".)

I don’t think it’s necessary.  The main issue from my POV is that the
error message is misleading since it fails to convey the useful piece of
information.

Thanks,
Ludo’.