Subject: bug#35864: ~/.local/bin is missing in default PATH on Guix System

From: Jesse Gibbons <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2019 13:55:36 -0600

(from the digest)
>Date: Thu, 23 May 2019 17:31:38 +0200
>From: "pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <[email-masked]>
>To: Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>
>Cc: [email-masked]
>Subject: bug#35864: ~/.local/bin is missing in default PATH on Guix
>	System
>Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
>Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
>
>[...]
>
>Adding ~/.local/bin to the PATH is common on other distros.  When
>compiling and installing software as a user without making a package
>for it, I want to configure it with --prefix=$HOME/.local so I can
>install without sudo.  Then I want to be able to run:
>
>myprog
>
>instead of
>
>PATH=$HOME/.local/bin myprog
>
>In particular, I want instructions to work on all distros, even though
>Debian failed/fails to do this at the moment too.
>
>Regards,
>Florian
>

I personally think including $HOME/.local/bin in PATH by default is
unnecessary because the Guix package manager lets non-root users
install packages and installs from source with the --no-substitutes
option. However if some people don't want take the time to write and
debug a package definition for programs they want to install that are
not included in guix by default, installing to $HOME/.local remains a
valid option.

The simplest way to resolve this is probably to include it in the
skeleton folder in your OS definition (flexible design FTW, am I
right?). Maybe there can be a service to allow this option without
everyone who wants it writing the code themselves?