Subject: bug#35864: ~/.local/bin is missing in default PATH on Guix System

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2019 21:31:09 +0200

pelzflorian (Florian Pelz) wrote:
> Adding ~/.local/bin to the PATH is common on other distros.

This is what still needs to be established: is it?  Which ones? 
Is it merely a side-effect of them using systemd?  And most 
crucially: does it mean that Guix needs to add it too?  What about 
~/bin?

I'm was just interested in the (ideally: your) arguments for doing 
so, not a link to a discussion site.  If it really breaks things 
that should work, I'm all in favour of adding it to the default 
skeleton, if not /etc/profile itself.

> When compiling and installing software as a user without making 
> a package
> for it, I want to configure it with --prefix=$HOME/.local so I 
> can
> install without sudo.  Then I want to be able to run:
>
> myprog
>
> instead of
>
> PATH=$HOME/.local/bin myprog

You can already easily add custom directories to $PATH in your 
.bash_profile, if my understanding of bash's complicated set of 
configuration files is still accurate.  That's where I set it, 
anyway:

  ~ λ grep PATH= .bash_profile 
  PATH="$HOME/.local/bin:$PATH"

and it's always worked fine.  :-)

Kind regards,

T G-R