Subject: bug#35862: 27.0.50; Tramp recent changes make saving large file via tramp-copy-program fails

From: Shuguang Sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2019 10:09:35 +0800

Hi,

The recent changes to tramp make the saving of large file (i.e., >10k,
via tramp-copy-program) fails, with message that like no temp files and
permission denied. It works on the version on March 3 2019, but not on
May 19 (detailed version information at end of the message).

Here is part of filtered message :
--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
18:45:46.539402 tramp-do-copy-or-rename-file-out-of-band (6) # pscp -l username -q -r c\:/Users/username/AppData/Local/Temp/tramp.2Ky9Fj.csv [email-masked]:/path/username/bladder_rf.csv
c\:/Users/username/AppData/Local/Temp/tramp.2Ky9Fj.csv: No such file or directory
c\:/Users/username/AppData/Local/Temp/tramp.2Ky9Fj.csv: No such file or directory
18:45:46.778053 tramp-do-copy-or-rename-file (0) # Copying c:/Users/username/AppData/Local/Temp/tramp.2Ky9Fj.csv to /plink:[email-masked]:/path/username/bladder_rf.csv...failed
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Below is the settings:
using `plink/pscp`
--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
  (push '("plink"
          (tramp-login-program "plink")
          (tramp-login-args
           (("-l" "%u") ("-P" "%p") ("-ssh") ("-t") ("%h") ("\"")
            ("env 'TERM=dumb' 'PROMPT_COMMAND=' 'PS1=#$ '")
            ("/bin/sh") ("\"")))
          (tramp-remote-shell         "/bin/sh")
          (tramp-remote-shell-login   ("-l"))
          (tramp-remote-shell-args    ("-c"))
          (tramp-copy-program         "pscp")
          (tramp-copy-args            (("-l" "%u") ("-P" "%p")
                                       ;; ("-scp")
                                       ("-p" "%k") ("-q") ("-r")))
          (tramp-copy-keep-date t)
          (tramp-copy-recursive t)
          (tramp-default-port         22))
        tramp-methods)
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

or using `plink/scp` (ssh.exe not works in windows box)
--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
  (push '("plink"
          (tramp-login-program "plink")
          (tramp-login-args
           (("-l" "%u") ("-P" "%p") ("-ssh") ("-t") ("%h") ("\"")
            ("env 'TERM=dumb' 'PROMPT_COMMAND=' 'PS1=#$ '")
            ("/bin/sh") ("\"") ))
          (tramp-remote-shell         "/bin/sh")
          (tramp-remote-shell-login   ("-l"))
          (tramp-remote-shell-args    ("-c"))
          (tramp-copy-program         "scp")
          (tramp-copy-args            (("-P" "%p") ("-p" "%k") ("-q") ("-r") ("%c")))
          (tramp-copy-keep-date t)
          (tramp-copy-recursive t)
          (tramp-default-port         22))
        tramp-methods)
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Version with the bug:
In GNU Emacs 27.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-w64-mingw32)
 of 2019-05-19
Repository revision: d7c8196c96fd4bb732d1336305943feb3badf27c
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 10.0.15063

Version without the bug:
In GNU Emacs 27.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-w64-mingw32)
 of 2019-03-03
Repository revision: 8a64107f7de6db557a2c43147369c6a93adf6668

Best Regards,
Shuguang