Subject: bug#35860: Delayed window positioning after buffer display

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2019 09:41:33 +0200

> BTW, we had plans to rename 'window--display-buffer'.
 > But shouldn't it rather use 'display-buffer-' prefix?
 > Maybe, 'display-buffer-in-window'?

Back in January I wrote ...

 > The cleanup has been done.  The final message of that subthread says:
 >
 >   Anyone interested in renaming 'window--display-buffer' - please go
 >   ahead.  I think a 'display-buffer-' prefix should then be appropriate.
 >
 > What I meant there is that calling it say 'display-buffer-in-window'
 > would be appropriate but the final name is up to its clients.

... so feel free to do that.

BTW, doesn't your earlier remark ...

 > We could support an action alist too in addition to buffer-local variables,
 > but we should leave an ability to set buffer-local variables, because
 > neither view-lossage nor vc-git-print-log (two primary cases to test
 > this feature) have no access to the 'action' arg of display-buffer.

... miss one aspect: 'display-buffer-overriding-action' can always be
used to set and/or override any 'window-point' or 'window-start' alist
entries.

martin