Subject: Re: bug#35858: Null pointer error when partitioning with the graphical installer

From: Vivien Kraus <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2019 12:52:51 +0200

Hello,

I have installed with the manual method, it worked, I rebooted but my
luck ends here: after entering my decryption key twice (the first time
with a keyboard configured as US, the second with my azerty
configuration, is this normal?  Whatever I can add a new luks key with
the US keyboard), I get a boot screen reading:

GC Warning: pthread_getattr_np or pthread_attr_getstack failed for main
thread
GC Warning: Couldn't read /proc/stat
Welcome, this is GNU's early boot Guile.
Use '--repl' for an initrd REPL.

loading kernel modules...
Enter passphrase for /dev/sda2:
ext2fs_check_if_mount: Can't check if filesystem is mounted due to
missing mtab file while determining whether /dev/dm-0 is mounted.
guix-root: clean, 181099/91545600 files, 7013116/366152801 blocks
loading '/gnu/store/vxpwkiw1dp8m4xpjnzvmfq5bsnzccf61-system/boot'...
making '/gnu/store/vxpwkiw1dp8m4xpjnzvmfq5bsnzccf61-system' the current
system...
setting up setuid programs in '/run/setuid-programs'...
populating /etc from /gnu/store/qm_brk2hzpvzqsr3g62m3krbz9j4zh2i-etc...
error in finalization thread: Success
CP437: Invalid argument
[   17.016506] udevd[245]: no sender credentials received, message
ignored
nscd: 249 monitoring file `/etc/hosts` (1)
nscd: 249 monitoring directory `/etc` (2)
nscd: 249 monitoring file `/etc/resolv.conf` (3)
nscd: 249 monitoring directory `/etc` (2)
nscd: 249 monitoring file `/etc/services` (4)
nscd: 249 monitoring directory `/etc` (2)
[   19.155923] Error: Driver 'pcspkr' is already registered,
aborting...

The success error and pcspkr are also printed when running the
installer.

I have 2 partitions: /dev/sda1 is the 512MB ESP partition, and
/dev/sda2 is the fully encrypted disk (named 'guix-root').  Except for
the keyboard configuration, UUIDs and default user, I have kept the
default 'desktop' configuration.scm.

There is no disk activity, no fan activity and it does not respond to
C-M-Fn, but it does reboot on C-M-DEL.

And if I re-run the graphical installer, I still get the null pointer
dereference.

So I will revert to having guix on top of another distro for now.

Best regards,

Vivien