Subject: bug#35857: closed (Re: bug#35857: 26.2; Hangs loading desktop having shell window)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2020 04:35:02 +0000

Your bug report

#35857: 26.2; Hangs loading desktop having shell window

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
35857: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=35857
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#35857: 26.2; Hangs loading desktop having shell window
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2020 06:34:09 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Thanks, I guess we need more info from the OP.  Perhaps some unusual
>> shell is being used, or some system customizations outside of the
>> user init files are at play here?
>
> Richard, it seems like we need more info to progress with this bug.
> Could you please tell us more about the exact circumstances under
> which you are able to reproduce this bug?

More information was requested, but none was given within 12 weeks, so
I'm closing this bug.  If this is still an issue, please reply to this
email (use "Reply to all" in your email client) and we can reopen the
bug report.

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas

Subject: 26.2; Hangs loading desktop having shell window
From: "Richard Munitz (BLOOMBERG/ 731 LEX)" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 22 May 2019 13:43:03 -0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

--text follows this line--

I am able to reproduce this problem when having only the following 3
lines in my .emacs file:
(desktop-save-mode 1)  ; will save state and restore each restart.
(setq desktop-auto-save-timeout 60)
(setq desktop-restore-in-current-display t)

Reproduction steps:
run "emacs &"
M-X shell
^X1 (Eliminate split window, leaving the shell occupying the full
window)
^X^C (Exit emacs, answering yes to kill shell and y to save desktop)
run "emacs &"
emacs now hangs.

In GNU Emacs 26.2 (build 1, sparc-sun-solaris2.10, GTK+ Version 3.8.9)
 of 2019-05-17 built on bldsun-rr-005
Windowing system distributor 'Hummingbird - Open Text', version 11.0.13830
Recent messages:
No desktop file.
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Type C-x 1 to remove help window.  
Type "q" in help window to delete it.
C-x p is undefined

Configured using:
 'configure --build=sparc-sun-solaris2.10 --host=sparc-sun-solaris2.10
 --prefix=/opt/bb --libdir=/opt/bb/lib64 -x-includes=/opt/bb/include
 -x-libraries=/opt/bb/lib64 --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --without-selinux
 --without-gsettings --with-gnutls=no 'CFLAGS=-m64 '
 CPPFLAGS=-I/opt/bb/include 'LDFLAGS=-m64 -L/opt/bb/lib64
 -R/opt/bb/lib64''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG DBUS GLIB NOTIFY ACL LIBXML2 FREETYPE XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM THREADS

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US
  locale-coding-system: iso-latin-1-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  desktop-save-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cconv dired dired-loaddefs format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils help-fns radix-tree help-mode easymenu
apropos elec-pair desktop frameset cl-loaddefs cl-lib time-date
mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
gfilenotify dynamic-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk
x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 100397 7801)
 (symbols 48 20631 1)
 (miscs 40 46 196)
 (strings 32 29909 1649)
 (string-bytes 1 802636)
 (vectors 16 14839)
 (vector-slots 8 511142 7248)
 (floats 8 56 238)
 (intervals 56 721 259)
 (buffers 992 13))