Subject: Re: [bug#35812] [PATCH] fix hackage cabal tests

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 May 2019 23:23:27 +0200

Hi,

Robert Vollmert <[email-masked]> skribis:

>> On 21. May 2019, at 16:48, Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Robert Vollmert <[email-masked]> skribis:
>> 
>>> Hackage cabal tests didn’t run independently due to memoization,
>>> and test-cabal-6 was failing.
>> 
>> I don’t think memoization can get in the way here: the argument list is
>> used as a key in the memoization hash table.  Thus, if you pass
>> different arguments, you get a cache miss and call the underlying
>> procedure.
>> 
>> Or am I missing something?
>
> I agree that memoization of a pure function shouldn’t have such effects,
> but my (limited) understanding is that hackage->guix-packages would
> cache import results by package name on the assumption that cabal
> files for the same package name don’t change between calls.

Oh, got it.

I pushed a variant of the patch as commit
ad7466aafd7f166d0b6be5eb32dda1d3ee8a6445.

Thanks!

Ludo’.