Subject: bug#35806: Login passwords incorrect on some newly installed 1.0.1 systems

From: "pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2019 22:02:51 +0200

On Mon, May 20, 2019 at 05:01:40PM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Hi!
> 
> "pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <[email-masked]> skribis:
> 
> > on a system newly installed from the 1.0.1 ISO image — on only some
> > reinstalls.  Maybe it was my fault, but maybe not, it is kind of
> > spooky.  Can others reproduce?
> 
> No.  (I did many installs in VMs before the release…  :-))

OK.  I consider it likely that a typo was the reason for the wrong
password on the first install.

However, the second install had no normal user account, as you can see
in my /etc/shadow (which is attached again).  It should not have been
possible to install without user account.  Now that I think about it,
I believe when I got shown the user account creation page in the
installer, I accidentally immediately pressed some key (maybe Enter)
and it threw me back to the locale selection.  I configured everything
again, but I believe this was the reason no user account was created.

I could now make the user account creation page crash again by
entering a wrong password confirmation, but after going through the
installer again, the resulting config contains a user and I can login.
I do not know how I managed to break this.

> 
> Note that you can check by doing an install in a VM using the attached
> script.
>

Thank you.  For now I’ll try on real hardware though.

Regards,
Florian