Subject: Re: bug#35797: 26.2; Adaptive Wrap does not respect Whitespace Mode faces

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2019 09:59:36 +0300

> From: Andrew T <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> Date: Thu, 23 May 2019 19:26:45 -0700
> 
> With my current Whitespace Mode configurations, I don't see the dots
> for real indentation, so I don't think it should show the dots for
> simulated indentation while soft-wrapping either.

So, AFAIU, your problem is that you don't like whitespace-mode
displaying the whitespace in the wrap-prefix as "normal" space
characters, i.e. as "dots", and not as whitespace in indentation.  And
the exact face in which these "dots" are displayed is not the issue.
Is my understanding correct?

If my understanding is correct, then whitespace.el cannot do that: it
only recognizes indentation by looking at characters in the buffer
that follow a newline.  By contrast, wrap-prefix doesn't come from the
buffer, and doesn't follow a newline.  So whitespace-mode simply
doesn't understand that the wrap-prefix is indentation of sorts.

Perhaps this problem could be solved in adaptive-wrap-prefix mode, by
creating a wrap-prefix not just as a string of space characters, but
something else, like using a special 'display' spec or something.  In
any case, the feature you are looking for wasn't implemented yet.