Subject: Re: bug#35797: 26.2; Adaptive Wrap does not respect Whitespace Mode faces

From: Andrew T <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2019 19:26:45 -0700

> Now I'm completely confused.  Whitespace mode doesn't just show the
> trailing whitespace, it shows _all_ whitespace characters in a
> distinct way, at least by default.

Right, that's why I described in my first message how, for the types of
whitespace I'm not interested in, I either disable the option or set
the foreground color to be the same as the background color, so that
the dots are invisible.

I don't personally need Whitespace Mode to tell me when lines are
overly long, because I can already see how long the lines are just by
looking at them. So in Customize, in the list of checkboxes under
Whitespace Style, I've unchecked "(Face) Lines" and "(Face) Lines, only
overlong part".

I think empty lines are also already self-evident, so in Whitespace
Style, I've unchecked "(Face) Empty Lines..."

In my own projects, I usually indent with spaces instead of tabs, but I
think all the dots that appear by default for indentation are a little
ugly. I only need to know when I'm using spaces versus tabs, so "(Face)
TABs" is checked, but all three "(Face) Indentation..." options are
unchecked.

I do care about trailing spaces, as I've said, so "(Face) Trailing
TABs, SPACEs and HARD SPACEs" is checked.

I considered disabling *all* space faces, except I do want to see when
it's a "hard" non-breaking space instead of a normal space, and the
Whitespace Style checkboxes do not separate these. So what I did was
leave "(Face) SPACEs and HARD SPACEs" checked, but set the Whitespace
Space face to inherit its background color, and have its foreground
color be the same as the buffer default background.

The Whitespace Hspace and Whitespace Trailing faces have unique
background and foreground colors to make them stand out.

This all adds up to the dots representing *normal non-trailing* space
characters being invisible... EXCEPT in the Adaptive Wrap soft-wrap
prefix.

With my current Whitespace Mode configurations, I don't see the dots
for real indentation, so I don't think it should show the dots for
simulated indentation while soft-wrapping either.