Subject: bug#35797: 26.2; Adaptive Wrap does not respect Whitespace Mode faces

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2019 07:09:57 +0300

> From: Andrew T <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 22 May 2019 13:13:27 -0700
> Cc: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
> 
> I'm having a hard time trying to do my original bug reproduction
> starting from the `emacs -Q` command, because GNU ELPA keeps timing
> out or something. `M-x package-refresh-contents` reports "Failed to
> download ‘gnu’ archive." Not sure if my network is acting screwy or if
> the ELPA server is down. `M-x package-list` actually says
> adaptive-wrap 0.7 is already installed(??) even though it's not
> included with the Emacs packages installed from Fedora -- yet the
> `adaptive-wrap-prefix-mode` command is unavailable. So at the moment,
> I can't test your suggestion of setting the whitespace-line face
> background, at least not starting from a pristine environment.

You don't need to install anything, just load adaptive-wrap.el
manually with "M-x load-file", after downloading the file to your
system.

> ...However, the default colors for the `whitespace-line` face is sort
> of a purple foreground on dark gray background, while in the
> screenshots from my previous test (second image at
> <https://imgur.com/a/znbU0s3>), the wrap prefix is black on white --
> same as the buffer default colors for text that hasn't yet gotten any
> syntax or other highlighting.

I think there's a misunderstanding here, due to the multitude of faces
and some implicit expectations that were never explicitly described.
Would you please describe what you expected to see in this case, in
terms of the appearance of the whitespace characters of wrap-prefix?
The whitespace characters elsewhere in the display you show have 2
different appearances: one in the initial comment of the *scratch*
buffer, the other in the long line you typed.  Which one of them did
you expect to see in the wrap-prefix?  Or maybe you expected to see
something that is neither one?  Please state the expectations as
clearly and unambiguously as you possible can, okay?

> And in my actual configuration (the third image in the Imgur album),
> it's the same behavior, except there the default colors are white on
> very dark gray. I actually have Whitespace Mode configured *not* to do
> highlighting for long lines anyway. In Customize, under the Whitespace
> Style options, both of the "(Face) Lines" checkboxes are unchecked.

Likewise, in this last use case: please describe your expectations.

Thanks.