Subject: Re: bug#35793: 27.0.50; Redundant "See" in the ELisp manual

From: Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 May 2019 08:14:40 -0400

Mauro Aranda <[email-masked]> writes:

> In the HTML format of the GNU Emacs Lisp Reference Manual, navigate to
> the node Skipping Characters, under the node Motion.  There, look for
> the cross references to Regular Expressions and to Char Classes, and
> note the redundant "See".

Hmm, the HTML output has a redundant "See", but the .info doesn't.  But
I see the texinfo manual examples don't put "see" in front of @xref, so
I guess it's just coincidence that it produces okay results for .info.

> * doc/lispref/positions.texi (Skipping Characters): Remove redundant
>   "See" before cross references.  Change @xref to @pxref, which is
>   more suitable when at the end of a sentence.  (Bug#35793)

M-x rgrep RET [Ss]ee @.\?xref RET *.texi RET doc/ RET finds a few more
hits in other manuals, could you fix those too please?

./lispref/positions.texi:843:the first letter.  See @xref{Regular Expressions}.  Character classes
./lispref/positions.texi:844:can also be used, e.g., @code{"[:alnum:]"}.  See @pxref{Char Classes}.
./lispref/modes.texi:3017:For details, see @xref{Multiline Font Lock}.
./lispref/control.texi:1454:iterators.  See @xref{Loop Facility,,,cl,Common Lisp Extensions}.
./lispref/functions.texi:2377:explicitly risky (see @pxref{File Local Variables}).
./misc/dired-x.texi:899:done.  See @xref{Optional Installation File At Point}.
./misc/dired-x.texi:907:@code{find-file-other-window}.  See @xref{Optional Installation File At Point}.
./misc/gnus-faq.texi:710:POP3 mail source.  See @pxref{Mail Source Specifiers} for VALUE.
./misc/gnus.texi:3097:See @pxref{Sieve Commands} for commands and variables that might be of
./misc/gnus.texi:3115:See @pxref{Group Mail Splitting} to automatically split on group
./misc/gnus.texi:12859:the corresponding parenthetical matches (see @xref{Replacing Match,,
./misc/gnus.texi:24245:events.  See @xref{Extending the Spam package}.
./misc/eudc.texi:609:This variable has protocol-local definitions (see @pxref{Server/Protocol
./misc/eudc.texi:717:or server local fashion (see @pxref{Server/Protocol Locals}).
./misc/dbus.texi:1931:Incoming D-Bus messages are handled as Emacs events, see @pxref{Misc
./misc/dbus.texi:1955:this message (see @pxref{Signals}).  When a @code{dbus-event} event
./misc/org.texi:10293:export}) or transcode the math into images (see @pxref{Previewing @LaTeX{}
./misc/org.texi:10359:used for inclusion while exporting to HTML (see @pxref{@LaTeX{} fragments}),
./misc/reftex.texi:3700:menu.  See @xref{Key Bindings}.
./misc/cc-mode.texi:1063:where Emacs does auto-filling (see @pxref{Custom Filling and
./misc/cc-mode.texi:1481:inserted (see @pxref{Custom Auto-newlines}).  Typically, the style
./misc/cc-mode.texi:6856:see @xref{Macros with ;}.