Subject: Re: [bug#35790] [PATCH] scripts: lint: Handle warnings with a record type.

From: Christopher Baines <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2019 14:05:55 +0100

Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:

> A possibility would be to pass ‘make-warning’ a ‘format’ list instead of
> a single string:
>
>   (make-warning package (list (G_ "~a is bad") 'something) …)
>
> That’d solve the problem but it’d have to be packaged nicely to avoid
> having too much boilerplate.

I've now made an attempt at doing this, I've kept the changes separate
for now, and I've sent them as a separate patch.

I'm not sure I've got it working yet though. I've been testing with the
zile package, as there's a lint warning for the synopsis, however, if I
try to set the language to Spanish, it isn't translated.

I've also tried checking the existing behaviour, but that doesn't seem
to work either:

  → LC_MESSAGES=es_ES LANGUAGE=es_ES LC_ALL=es_ES ./pre-inst-env guile
  ...
  scheme@(guile-user)> (use-modules (guix i18n))
  scheme@(guile-user)> (G_ "~a: ~a: proposed synopsis: ~s~%")
  $1 = "~a: ~a: proposed synopsis: ~s~%"

Many of the translated strings won't match up with the code now as I've
changed them. I did try changing the Spanish translation for this
proposed synopsis message to match the code, but it didn't seem to work.

Any ideas on what's going on here?

Chris