Subject: Re: [bug#35790] [PATCH 4/4] lint: Separate checkers by dependence on the internet.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2019 23:34:31 +0200

Hi!

Christopher Baines <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Great, I've pushed these to master now.

Yay!  \o/

> I hope to start looking at actually trying to load in the lint warnings
> soon. This might involve extending the inferior API if that's helpful. I
> also want to attempt to store translations for the lint warnings in one
> way or another, as that'll begin to address the lack of localisation in
> the Guix Data Service.

Regarding inferiors, you could always build up an “inferior lint
warning” API, similar to what’s done for <inferior-package>, and
likewise for l10n.

It needs some thought because we don’t want to mirror every single Guix
API with an inferior equivalent.  So perhaps you can run a large part of
the processing in the inferior.

> There's also some thinking about how to manage the network dependent
> checkers. I'd like to get that information in anyway, but also, I think
> it might be possible to maybe separate out the network independant parts
> of the checkers that are currently in the network dependent list. For
> example, the synopsis checker is only in there as it attempts to connect
> to the network to check if packages are a GNU package, and I'm wondering
> if that can be avoided.

Dunno, but I don’t think it’s super important either.

What might be more useful is to indicate how critical a warning is: lack
of source code is critical, but missing-space-after-period less so.

> Anyway, hopefully the code refactoring is generally helpful, and maybe
> the --no-network option for guix lint will come in useful as well.

Definitely.

Thanks!

Ludo’.