Subject: Re: [bug#35790] [PATCH 4/4] lint: Separate checkers by dependence on the internet.

From: Christopher Baines <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2019 23:23:19 +0100

Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi!
>
> It seems to me we’re all set now.

Great, I've pushed these to master now.

> Thanks a lot for all the work and for your patience!

No problem :)

In terms of next steps, I think this is a big bit of the work needed to
get lint warnings in to the Guix Data Service done, but there's still a
big chunk to do.

I hope to start looking at actually trying to load in the lint warnings
soon. This might involve extending the inferior API if that's helpful. I
also want to attempt to store translations for the lint warnings in one
way or another, as that'll begin to address the lack of localisation in
the Guix Data Service.

There's also some thinking about how to manage the network dependent
checkers. I'd like to get that information in anyway, but also, I think
it might be possible to maybe separate out the network independant parts
of the checkers that are currently in the network dependent list. For
example, the synopsis checker is only in there as it attempts to connect
to the network to check if packages are a GNU package, and I'm wondering
if that can be avoided.

Anyway, hopefully the code refactoring is generally helpful, and maybe
the --no-network option for guix lint will come in useful as well.

Chris