Subject: Re: bug#35784: emacs 26 crash

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 May 2019 09:19:22 +0300

> From: Marc Munro <[email-masked]>
> Date: Fri, 17 May 2019 13:54:27 -0700
> 
> This is a reproducible crash.  I have loaded a lot of experimental lisp
> code, including some which creates a custom header line.  It seems to
> be this that causes the crash, however only in combination with some
> buggy stuff that causes new frames to be used where a window split
> would do quite well.  
> 
> Without my window splitting bugs, I still get crashes but they are
> random and infrequent and I have been unable to create a reproducible
> test case.
> 
> I am attaching a tgz of all the files involved, and embedding a gdb
> backtrace below.
> 
> To reproduce:
> 
> $ emacs .emacs

I guess you meant

  $ emacs -l .emacs

IOW, the .emacs file should be _loaded_, not just visited.  (I tried
both, just to be sure).

> <close the *GNU Emacs* frame>

I don't have any such frame at this point.  I have a single frame
divided into 2 windows, one of them showing *GNU Emacs*, the other
showing *scratch*.

> <type M-x>

No crash here.  I tried both Emacs 26.1 and Emacs 26.2.

I'm guessing that maybe some additional files you have on your system
might be relevant.  Did you try reproducing outside your home
directory, after replacing "~marc/emacs/k" with something explicit,
and then using "emacs -q -l .emacs"?  Because this is what I did, I
cannot afford overwriting my personal .emacs file.

Can anyone else reproduce this crash?