Subject: bug#35783: closed (Re: bug#35783: Guile-Parted crashes the installer on i686-linux)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 19 May 2019 10:10:03 +0000

Your bug report

#35783: Guile-Parted crashes the installer on i686-linux

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
35783: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=35783
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#35783: Guile-Parted crashes the installer on i686-linux
From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
To: Mathieu Othacehe <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 19 May 2019 12:09:37 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

I went ahead and pushed the patch as
d68de958b60426798ed62797ff7c96c327a672ac.

I’ll build the release from that commit.

Thanks,
Ludo’.

Subject: Guile-Parted crashes the installer on i686-linux
From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>, Mathieu Othacehe <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2019 21:46:06 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

On i686-linux, the installer crashes when it reaches the partitioning
page with a null-pointer exception (or sometimes with a plain SIGSEGV),
in the call to ‘partition-disk’ in ‘esp-partition?’.  Screenshots
of two different crashes (null-pointer exception and SIGSEGV) attached.

The null-pointer exception happens when starting from a blank target
image (fresh ‘qemu-img create’), while the other crash happens (IIRC)
when the disk already has a partition table.

Mathieu, any ideas?

This is holding the 1.0.1 release (I actually have all the files ready
for upload after hours of builds :-/).  We’ll have to decide whether to
hold off until we have a fix, or whether to skip i686 altogether, or to
ship an install image where only the manual install may be used.

Thanks in advance!

Ludo’.