Subject: bug#35781: Discrepancies between xftfont.c and ftcrfont.c

From: Kévin Le Gouguec <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2019 21:03:25 +0200

[email-masked] writes:

> I tried making ftcrfont_open look much like xftfont_open.
> Could you try the attached patch?

Thank you for this patch!

I applied it on top of cb367c8e0d, and AFAICT this fixes the issue: on
both setups where I used to see a difference in hint style[1], the
fonts now look the same (i.e. with slight hinting).  Things haven't
deteriorated on the third setup[2].

I glanced at your patch to try and get a sense of how things worked;
from what I can tell you moved some logic from xftfont.c to ftfont.c,
which is used by ftcrfont.c, so the XFT and Cairo build would use more
common code?

(Is there a reason why you left xftfont_add_rendering_parameters in
xftfont.c despite adding ftfont_add_rendering_parameters in ftfont.c?
Should this function be added to ftfont.h so that xftfont.c gets rid
of its duplicate implementation?)

(Also, I see you removed some code related to the bitmap_strike_index
and ft_size_draw members of struct font_info; is it because whatever
this code was doing is now handled by… something else in ftfont.c?)

(Sorry for these Boeotian questions!)

Again, thanks a lot for this patch!

[1] Debian stretch (cairo 1.14.8) and Xubuntu 16.04 (cairo 1.14.6).

[2] OpenSUSE Tumbleweed (cairo 1.16.0).