Subject: bug#35780: [PATCH] attempt to fix polyglossia

From: Josh Holland <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2019 22:23:51 +0100

---
I had a quick look into fixing this myself, and made a little bit
of progress.  Not being that familiar with how things work yet,
I'm going on what I can guess by looking at gnu/packages/tex.scm,
guix/build-system/texlive.scm and guix/build/texlive-build-system.scm
so I may well be misinterpreting some things.

The source for polyglossia comes in a single file, polyglossia.dtx.
The README embedded within it says to extract the files by running
xetex or luatex on it.  I tried to convince the build system to do
this by this patch, which may or may not have been the right approach.
It does at least get a new error:

Generating file(s) ../README 
! I can't write on file `../README.tex'.

It appears to be trying to write its README file to the directory above
the build directory, which is failing. Is there a way to make this
directory writeable, or to stop the build system from trying to generate
the README there?

 gnu/packages/tex.scm | 3 ++-
 1 file changed, 2 insertions(+), 1 deletion(-)

diff --git a/gnu/packages/tex.scm b/gnu/packages/tex.scm
index c3ce80c8f5..0894148501 100644
--- a/gnu/packages/tex.scm
+++ b/gnu/packages/tex.scm
@@ -3249,7 +3249,8 @@ array environments; verbatim handling; and syntax diagrams.")
                (base32
                 "03ma58z3ypsbp7zgkzb1ylpn2ygr27cxzkf042ns0rif4g8s491f"))))
     (build-system texlive-build-system)
-    (arguments '(#:tex-directory "latex/polyglossia"))
+    (arguments '(#:tex-directory "latex/polyglossia"
+                 #:build-targets '("polyglossia.dtx")))
     (home-page "https://www.ctan.org/pkg/polyglossia")
     (synopsis "Alternative to babel for XeLaTeX and LuaLaTeX")
     (description
-- 
2.21.0