Subject: bug#3576: 23.0.94; scroll bar scrolls past eob - keeps scrolling

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 13:04:59 -0700

> Still cannot reproduce this.  The worst case I see is that the very
> last line of the buffer ends up on the top visible line of the window.
> 
> If that's what you see, it's normal, and Emacs 22.x and 21.x behave
> exactly the same.

No, that's not what I see. The last line can be scrolled completely off of the
screen, so all that can be seen is blank space.

And yes, I do see the same thing in Emacs 22.3. But *not* in Emacs 21.3 or Emacs
20.7 (-q for all three).

Even if what you say were the case, no, that's wouldn't be normal.

> If that's not what you see, can you pick up some of the files in the
> Emacs distribution, and describe what you see scrolling each one of
> them?  Please define and describe the ``overshoot'' more precisely.

emacs -Q
C-x C-f /path/to/allout.el
C-x 1
Scroll down using mouse on scroll-bar slider. You can scroll so that no text is
visible, all text is above the (single) window. Same thing even if there are
other windows above or below.

Same with any other large file.

Try it with a small file, autoarg.el. The overshoot possible is only about 6
lines in that case. The larger the file, the larger the overshoot, with a full
blank window maximum (last line just off the window).

Clear enough? Do you see something different from this?