Subject: [Manual installation] ‘mount /mnt’'sin the ‘Partitioning’ section.

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2019 03:54:10 +0200

Guix,

[This is for after 1.0.1, but I'd forget otherwise.]

This happened to a new user on IRC tonight, and I understand their 
logic.  After guided partitioning (using the installer), 
installation failed, and they decided to continue manually. 
Here's where they started:

  3.6 Manual Installation
  =======================

  …

  * Menu:

  * Keyboard Layout and Networking and Partitioning:: Initial 
  setup.
  * Proceeding with the Installation::  Installing.

Having just ‘partitioned’, they ‘proceeded’.  The first task in 
that section is ‘herd start cow-store’, which fails because /mnt 
isn't mounted yet.  According to our manual, that's also part of 
‘partitioning’.  Eh.  I get why, but would prefer to reorganise 
this a bit to make such errors less likely.

Kind regards,

T G-R