Subject: bug#35758: closed (Re: bug#35758: Build failure with Emacs master branch)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 17 May 2019 20:31:02 +0000

Your bug report

#35758: Build failure with Emacs master branch

which was filed against the auctex package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
35758: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=35758
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#35758: Build failure with Emacs master branch
From: Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]>
To: Joseph Mingrone <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 17 May 2019 22:30:32 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Joseph Mingrone <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Joseph,

> AUCTeX fails when building with recent commits from the Emacs' master
> branch (but builds fine with Emacs 26.2).  I see this with both AUCTeX
> 12.1 and from the HEAD of the repository.
>
> Here is a snippet of the error.
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> gmake[1]: Entering directory '/usr/home/jrm/scm/nm/auctex'
> rm -f preview-latex.el
> /usr/local/bin/emacs -batch -no-site-file -no-init-file --eval '(let ((generated-autoload-file (expand-file-name "preview-latex.el"))) (update-file-autoloads "preview.el")(save-buffers-kill-emacs t))' ; \
> test -r preview-latex.el || { \
>   echo ";; Auto-generated preview-latex.el" > preview-latex.el ; \
>   echo "
>         " >> preview-latex.el ; \
>   /usr/local/bin/emacs -batch -no-site-file -no-init-file --eval '(let ((generated-autoload-file (expand-file-name "preview-latex.el"))) (update-file-autoloads "preview.el")(save-buffers-kill-emacs t))' ; \
> }
> preview.el:0:0: error: wrong-type-argument: (stringp nil)
> preview.el:0:0: error: wrong-type-argument: (stringp nil)
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------

I could reproduce that once with a newly started emacs with this recipe
in *scratch*:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
(let ((default-directory "~/Repos/el/auctex")
      (generated-autoload-file (expand-file-name "auto-loads.el")))
  (message "%S" command-line-args-left)
  (mapcar
   (function update-file-autoloads)
   (list "tex.el")))
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

When trying to edebug `update-file-autoloads' and the functions called
from that, the bug magically disappeared until I started a new emacs...

I don't really know what exactly changed but I suspect it has something
to do with lexical binding `default-value'.  Normally,

(defvar y nil)
(defun dvy ()
  (default-value 'y))
(let ((y 17))
  (dvy)) ;; => 17

but in our case, the let-bound value of `generated-autoload-file' hasn't
been there in `autoload-file-load-name', and that's where the error came
from (I think!  As soon as I tried to edebug it, the error magically
appeared).

Anyway, `update-file-autoloads' allows to specify the autoload file as
third argument instead of binding `generated-autoload-file', so I'm
using that now.  Pushed to master.  I'm closing this issue.

Thanks for the report,
Tassilo

Subject: Build failure with Emacs master branch
From: Joseph Mingrone <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 15 May 2019 22:16:51 -0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

AUCTeX fails when building with recent commits from the Emacs' master
branch (but builds fine with Emacs 26.2).  I see this with both AUCTeX
12.1 and from the HEAD of the repository.

Here is a snippet of the error.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
gmake[1]: Entering directory '/usr/home/jrm/scm/nm/auctex'
rm -f preview-latex.el
/usr/local/bin/emacs -batch -no-site-file -no-init-file --eval '(let ((generated-autoload-file (expand-file-name "preview-latex.el"))) (update-file-autoloads "preview.el")(save-buffers-kill-emacs t))' ; \
test -r preview-latex.el || { \
  echo ";; Auto-generated preview-latex.el" > preview-latex.el ; \
  echo "
        " >> preview-latex.el ; \
  /usr/local/bin/emacs -batch -no-site-file -no-init-file --eval '(let ((generated-autoload-file (expand-file-name "preview-latex.el"))) (update-file-autoloads "preview.el")(save-buffers-kill-emacs t))' ; \
}
preview.el:0:0: error: wrong-type-argument: (stringp nil)
preview.el:0:0: error: wrong-type-argument: (stringp nil)
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Below is the full build log.

Regards,

Joseph

------------------------------------------------------------------------
(cd latex ; gmake all)
gmake[1]: Entering directory '/usr/home/jrm/scm/nm/auctex/latex'
gmake[1]: Nothing to be done for 'all'.
gmake[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/home/jrm/scm/nm/auctex/latex'
/usr/local/bin/emacs -batch -q -no-site-file -no-init-file -l lpath.el -f batch-byte-compile tex.el tex-buf.el tex-style.el plain-tex.el latex.el tex-info.el texmathp.el multi-prompt.el tex-mik.el font-latex.el tex-font.el context.el context-en.el context-nl.el tex-fold.el tex-jp.el toolbar-x.el tex-bar.el bib-cite.el tex-ispell.el latex-flymake.el style/prosper.el style/slides.el    style/foils.el     style/amstex.el style/article.el   style/book.el      style/letter.el style/report.el    style/amsart.el    style/amsbook.el style/epsf.el      style/psfig.el     style/latexinfo.el style/dutch.el     style/german.el    style/dk.el style/j-article.el style/j-book.el    style/j-report.el style/jarticle.el  style/jbook.el     style/jreport.el style/tarticle.el  style/tbook.el     style/treport.el style/jsarticle.el style/jsbook.el    style/jsreport.el style/dinbrief.el  style/virtex.el    style/plfonts.el style/plhb.el      style/harvard.el	 style/swedish.el style/danish.el    style/slovak.el    style/czech.el style/amsmath.el   style/amstext.el   style/amsbsy.el style/amsopn.el    style/amsthm.el	 style/natbib.el style/index.el     style/makeidx.el   style/multind.el style/varioref.el  style/fancyref.el	 style/mdwlist.el style/ngerman.el   style/graphicx.el	 style/graphics.el style/verbatim.el  style/scrbase.el   style/scrartcl.el style/scrbook.el   style/scrreprt.el	 style/scrlttr2.el style/scrpage2.el  style/captcont.el  style/subfigure.el style/paralist.el  style/booktabs.el  style/emp.el style/jura.el      style/alphanum.el	 style/beamer.el style/alltt.el     style/italian.el   style/doc.el style/ltxdoc.el    style/ltx-base.el	 style/units.el style/nicefrac.el  style/url.el       style/listings.el style/inputenc.el  style/frenchb.el   style/francais.el style/MinionPro.el style/pdfsync.el   style/polish.el style/polski.el    style/icelandic.el style/comment.el style/flashcards.el style/pstricks.el style/nomencl.el style/hyperref.el  style/bulgarian.el style/CJK.el style/ruby.el      style/CJKutf8.el   style/tabularx.el style/multido.el   style/pst-grad.el  style/pst-node.el style/pst-plot.el  style/pst-slpe.el  style/shortvrb.el style/austrian.el  style/naustrian.el style/french.el style/lettrine.el  style/multicol.el  style/xspace.el style/setspace.el  style/biblatex.el  style/siunitx.el style/bm.el        style/footmisc.el  style/ulem.el style/bigdelim.el  style/bigstrut.el  style/everysel.el style/mathtools.el style/ragged2e.el  style/amssymb.el style/lscape.el    style/epigraph.el  style/mflogo.el style/multirow.el  style/imakeidx.el  style/afterpage.el style/longtable.el style/lipsum.el    style/kantlipsum.el style/memoir.el    style/placeins.el  style/nameref.el style/fancynum.el  style/fancyhdr.el	 style/filecontents.el style/array.el     style/kpfonts.el   style/acro.el style/acronym.el   style/xparse.el    style/fancyvrb.el style/tabulary.el  style/fontspec.el  style/unicode-math.el style/luacode.el   style/metalogo.el  style/english.el style/exercise.el  style/plext.el     style/cleveref.el style/eso-pic.el   style/fontaxes.el  style/AnonymousPro.el style/mdsymbol.el  style/MyriadPro.el style/textcomp.el style/XCharter.el  style/zlmtt.el     style/ifluatex.el style/luatextra.el style/erewhon.el   style/baskervaldx.el style/fbb.el       style/newtxmath.el style/newtxsf.el style/newtxtext.el style/newtxttt.el  style/minted.el style/wrapfig.el   style/relsize.el   style/currvita.el style/tcolorbox.el style/color.el	 style/expl3.el style/bidibeamer.el style/enumitem.el style/caption.el style/geometry.el  style/ltablex.el   style/ltxtable.el style/mn2e.el      style/colortbl.el  style/attachfile.el style/newpxtext.el style/newpxmath.el style/pdfpages.el style/mnras.el     style/environ.el   style/polyglossia.el style/vwcol.el     style/textpos.el   style/transparent.el style/fontenc.el   style/Alegreya.el  style/gloss-italian.el style/newfloat.el  style/subcaption.el style/AlegreyaSans.el style/hologo.el    style/theorem.el   style/ntheorem.el style/splitidx.el  style/tikz.el      style/xcolor.el style/pdflscape.el style/commath.el   style/empheq.el style/framed.el    style/paracol.el   style/menukeys.el style/bidi.el      style/FiraMono.el  style/FiraSans.el style/bicaption.el style/amsfonts.el  style/subfiles.el style/dcolumn.el   style/mdframed.el  style/tcolorboxlib-raster.el style/titleps.el   style/titlesec.el  style/titletoc.el style/exam.el      style/breqn.el     style/sourcecodepro.el style/preview.el   style/fvextra.el   style/jurabib.el style/csquotes.el  style/babel.el     style/dk-bib.el style/floatrow.el  style/moodle.el    style/canadian.el style/arabxetex.el style/australian.el style/newzealand.el style/xltabular.el style/marginnote.el style/thmtools.el style/ocg-p.el     style/ocgx.el      style/thm-restate.el style/pythontex.el style/dashundergaps.el style/beamerarticle.el style/beamerswitch.el prv-emacs.el preview.el

In toplevel form:
tex.el:671:41:Warning: reference to free variable ‘Info-file-list-for-emacs’
tex.el:671:41:Warning: assignment to free variable ‘Info-file-list-for-emacs’

In TeX-set-mode-name:
tex.el:917:69:Warning: reference to free variable ‘TeX-mode-p’
tex.el:923:22:Warning: reference to free variable ‘TeX-PDF-mode’
tex.el:924:22:Warning: reference to free variable ‘TeX-interactive-mode’
tex.el:925:22:Warning: reference to free variable ‘TeX-source-correlate-mode’
tex.el:931:57:Warning: reference to free variable ‘TeX-command-default’

In TeX-pdf-tools-sync-view:
tex.el:1158:11:Warning: reference to free variable ‘TeX-PDF-mode’
tex.el:1162:12:Warning: reference to free variable ‘TeX-source-correlate-mode’
tex.el:1164:38:Warning: reference to free variable
    ‘TeX-current-process-region-p’
tex.el:1168:24:Warning: reference to free variable ‘file’

In TeX-evince-sync-view-1:
tex.el:1192:43:Warning: reference to free variable ‘file’
tex.el:1201:40:Warning: reference to free variable
    ‘TeX-current-process-region-p’

In TeX-engine-set:
tex.el:1597:16:Warning: assignment to free variable ‘TeX-PDF-from-DVI’

In TeX-source-correlate-method-active:
tex.el:1721:9:Warning: reference to free variable ‘TeX-PDF-mode’

In TeX-source-correlate-expand-options:
tex.el:1731:7:Warning: reference to free variable ‘TeX-source-correlate-mode’
tex.el:1733:19:Warning: reference to free variable
    ‘TeX-source-specials-tex-flags’
tex.el:1734:23:Warning: reference to free variable
    ‘TeX-source-specials-places’
tex.el:1741:9:Warning: reference to free variable ‘TeX-synctex-tex-flags’

In TeX-source-correlate-handle-TeX-region:
tex.el:1752:23:Warning: reference to free variable ‘TeX-region’
tex.el:1762:55:Warning: reference to free variable ‘TeX-region-orig-buffer’

In TeX-source-correlate-mode:
tex.el:1851:22:Warning: reference to free variable ‘TeX-mode-map’

In TeX-PDF-mode:
tex.el:2021:9:Warning: assignment to free variable ‘TeX-PDF-mode-parsed’
tex.el:2023:9:Warning: assignment to free variable ‘TeX-output-extension’

In TeX-master-file-ask:
tex.el:2328:58:Warning: reference to free variable ‘TeX-default-extension’

In TeX-master-file:
tex.el:2384:38:Warning: reference to free variable ‘TeX-default-extension’

In TeX-add-local-master:
tex.el:2442:46:Warning: reference to free variable ‘TeX-default-extension’
tex.el:2453:34:Warning: reference to free variable ‘TeX-esc’

In TeX-parse-path:
tex.el:2539:45:Warning: reference to free variable ‘TeX-macro-global’

In TeX-parse-macro:
tex.el:3335:23:Warning: reference to free variable
    ‘LaTeX-default-verb-delimiter’

In TeX-parse-arguments:
tex.el:3406:42:Warning: reference to free variable ‘LaTeX-optop’
tex.el:3407:42:Warning: reference to free variable ‘LaTeX-optcl’

In TeX-parse-argument:
tex.el:3458:26:Warning: reference to free variable ‘exit-mark’

In TeX-argument-insert:
tex.el:3482:13:Warning: assignment to free variable ‘last-optional-rejected’
tex.el:3487:37:Warning: reference to free variable ‘exit-mark’

In VirTeX-common-initialization:
tex.el:3647:9:Warning: assignment to free variable ‘TeX-output-extension’
tex.el:3651:46:Warning: assignment to free variable ‘ispell-parser’
tex.el:3697:61:Warning: assignment to free variable ‘ispell-tex-p’
tex.el:3698:30:Warning: assignment to free variable ‘TeX-auto-update’
tex.el:3700:15:Warning: reference to free variable ‘TeX-mode-map’
tex.el:3708:56:Warning: reference to free variable
    ‘tex--prettify-symbols-alist’

In TeX-auto-write:
tex.el:3904:47:Warning: reference to free variable ‘TeX-all-extensions’

In TeX-auto-generate:
tex.el:3995:57:Warning: reference to free variable ‘TeX-all-extensions’

In TeX-auto-store:
tex.el:4019:45:Warning: reference to free variable ‘TeX-all-extensions’

In TeX-insert-dollar:
tex.el:5820:26:Warning: reference to free variable ‘texmathp-why’

In TeX-math-input-method-off:
tex.el:5904:11:Warning: ‘inactivate-input-method’ is an obsolete function (as
    of 24.3); use ‘deactivate-input-method’ instead.

In TeX-normal-mode:
tex.el:5915:13:Warning: assignment to free variable
    ‘BibTeX-global-style-files’
tex.el:5916:13:Warning: assignment to free variable ‘BibTeX-global-files’
tex.el:5917:13:Warning: assignment to free variable
    ‘BibLaTeX-global-style-files’
tex.el:5918:13:Warning: assignment to free variable ‘TeX-Biber-global-files’
tex.el:5919:13:Warning: assignment to free variable ‘TeX-global-input-files’
tex.el:5920:13:Warning: assignment to free variable ‘LaTeX-global-class-files’
tex.el:5921:13:Warning: assignment to free variable
    ‘LaTeX-includegraphics-global-files’
tex.el:6377:7:Warning: assignment to free variable ‘ispell-enable-tex-parser’

In TeX-ispell-tex-arg-verb-end:
tex.el:6534:29:Warning: reference to free variable
    ‘TeX-ispell-verb-delimiters’

In TeX-current-defun-name:
tex.el:6615:56:Warning: reference to free variable ‘LaTeX-section-label’

In end of data:
tex.el:6650:1:Warning: the following functions are not known to be defined:
    dbus-ignore-errors, dbus-get-unique-name, dbus-ping,
    dbus-introspect-get-method, TeX-output-extension, dbus-call-method,
    TeX-command-expand, dbus-register-signal, TeX-active-master,
    LaTeX-environment-list, texmathp, tex--prettify-symbols-compose-p,
    TeX-pop-to-buffer, spell-buffer

In TeX-region-create:
tex-buf.el:2157:11:Warning: ‘font-lock-maximum-size’ is an obsolete variable
    (as of 24.1).

In end of data:
plain-tex.el:338:1:Warning: the function ‘TeX-install-toolbar’ is not known to
    be defined.

In toplevel form:
latex.el:117:1:Warning: global/dynamic var ‘title’ lacks a prefix
latex.el:118:1:Warning: global/dynamic var ‘name’ lacks a prefix
latex.el:119:1:Warning: global/dynamic var ‘level’ lacks a prefix
latex.el:121:1:Warning: global/dynamic var ‘toc’ lacks a prefix

In LaTeX-largest-level-set:
latex.el:309:15:Warning: reference to free variable ‘outline-heading-alist’
latex.el:307:48:Warning: assignment to free variable ‘outline-heading-alist’

In LaTeX-auto-cleanup:
latex.el:1767:25:Warning: reference to free variable ‘TeX-auto-file’
latex.el:1804:30:Warning: assignment to free variable ‘TeX-auto-file’

In BibTeX-auto-store:
latex.el:1879:48:Warning: assignment to free variable ‘TeX-auto-update’

In LaTeX-section-menu-filter:
latex.el:5608:15:Warning: assignment to free variable
    ‘LaTeX-section-list-changed’

In end of data:
latex.el:6707:1:Warning: the following functions are not known to be defined:
    outline-level, multi-prompt, multi-prompt-key-value, texmathp,
    texmathp-match-switch, outline-mark-subtree, LaTeX-install-toolbar,
    turn-off-filladapt-mode

In Texinfo-reftex-hook:
tex-info.el:484:28:Warning: reference to free variable
    ‘reftex-label-alist-builtin’
tex-info.el:485:48:Warning: assignment to free variable
    ‘reftex-label-alist-builtin’

In TeX-texinfo-mode:
tex-info.el:684:30:Warning: assignment to free variable ‘TeX-auto-update’

In font-latex-update-sectioning-faces:
font-latex.el:173:37:Warning: reference to free variable
    ‘font-latex-fontify-sectioning’

In end of data:
font-latex.el:2237:1:Warning: the following functions are not known to be
    defined: face-property-instance, set-face-property

In toplevel form:
tex-font.el:149:1:Warning: defface for ‘tex-math-face’ fails to specify
    containing group

In toplevel form:
context.el:75:1:Warning: global/dynamic var ‘reference’ lacks a prefix
context.el:77:1:Warning: global/dynamic var ‘title’ lacks a prefix
context.el:78:1:Warning: global/dynamic var ‘name’ lacks a prefix
context.el:79:1:Warning: global/dynamic var ‘level’ lacks a prefix

In ConTeXt-paragraph-commands-regexp:
context.el:1017:26:Warning: reference to free variable
    ‘ConTeXt-extra-paragraph-commands’

In TeX-bar-TeX-buttons:
tex-bar.el:130:22:Warning: reference to free variable
    ‘TeX-bar-TeX-all-button-alists’

In TeX-bar-LaTeX-buttons:
tex-bar.el:271:22:Warning: reference to free variable
    ‘TeX-bar-LaTeX-all-button-alists’

In bib-find-next:
bib-cite.el:977:12:Warning: ‘find-tag’ is an obsolete function (as of 25.1);
    use ‘xref-find-definitions’ instead.
bib-cite.el:983:55:Warning: ‘find-tag’ is an obsolete function (as of 25.1);
    use ‘xref-find-definitions’ instead.

In end of data:
bib-cite.el:2435:1:Warning: the following functions are not known to be
    defined: reftex-view-crossref, extent-string, show-entry,
    dired-replace-in-string, dired-split

In LaTeX-env-recipient:
style/letter.el:151:6:Warning: ‘indent-relative-maybe’ is an obsolete function
    (as of 26.1); use ‘indent-relative-first-indent-point’ instead.
style/letter.el:157:17:Warning: ‘indent-relative-maybe’ is an obsolete
    function (as of 26.1); use ‘indent-relative-first-indent-point’ instead.

In LaTeX-dinbrief-style:
style/dinbrief.el:80:6:Warning: ‘indent-relative-maybe’ is an obsolete
    function (as of 26.1); use ‘indent-relative-first-indent-point’ instead.

In LaTeX-dinbrief-env-recipient:
style/dinbrief.el:198:6:Warning: ‘indent-relative-maybe’ is an obsolete
    function (as of 26.1); use ‘indent-relative-first-indent-point’ instead.
style/dinbrief.el:204:17:Warning: ‘indent-relative-maybe’ is an obsolete
    function (as of 26.1); use ‘indent-relative-first-indent-point’ instead.

In LaTeX-dinbrief-sender:
style/dinbrief.el:218:16:Warning: ‘previous-line’ is for interactive use only;
    use ‘forward-line’ with negative argument instead.

In end of data:
style/pstricks.el:875:1:Warning: the function ‘multi-prompt-key-value’ is not
    known to be defined.

In toplevel form:
style/pst-plot.el:59:1:Warning: Alias for ‘LaTeX-pst-ticks-list’ should be
    declared before its referent

In LaTeX-kpfonts-mode:
style/kpfonts.el:507:22:Warning: reference to free variable
    ‘LaTeX-kpfonts-mode-menu’
style/kpfonts.el:507:46:Warning: reference to free variable
    ‘LaTeX-kpfonts-mode-map’

In LaTeX-ifluatex-set-exit-mark:
style/ifluatex.el:39:15:Warning: reference to free variable ‘exit-mark’

In TeX-TikZ-arg-bend:
style/tikz.el:198:37:Warning: reference to free variable
    ‘TeX-TikZ-point-function-map’

In LaTeX-exam-insert-item:
style/exam.el:55:20:Warning: reference to free variable ‘environment’

In preview-mode-setup:
prv-emacs.el:375:18:Warning: reference to free variable ‘preview-menu’
prv-emacs.el:389:41:Warning: reference to free variable ‘preview-dumped-alist’

In preview-move-point:
prv-emacs.el:451:16:Warning: reference to free variable ‘preview-auto-reveal’

In end of data:
prv-emacs.el:588:1:Warning: the following functions are not known to be
    defined: preview-inherited-face-attribute, preview-filter-specs-1,
    preview-format-kill, preview-delete, preview-relaxed-string=,
    preview-disable, preview-inactive-string,
    desktop-buffer-preview-misc-data, preview-filter-specs,
    preview-auto-reveal-p
gmake preview-latex.el
gmake[1]: Entering directory '/usr/home/jrm/scm/nm/auctex'
gmake[1]: 'preview-latex.el' is up to date.
gmake[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/home/jrm/scm/nm/auctex'
cd doc ; gmake all
gmake[1]: Entering directory '/usr/home/jrm/scm/nm/auctex/doc'
: -D rawfile --no-headers install.texi --output ../INSTALL
: -D rawfile --no-headers wininstall.texi --output ../INSTALL.windows
: -D rawfile --no-headers changes.texi --output ../CHANGES
: -D rawfile --no-headers --number-sections preview-problems.texi --output ../PROBLEMS.preview
: preview-latex.texi
: auctex.texi
gmake[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/home/jrm/scm/nm/auctex/doc'
------------------------------------------------------------------------