Subject: bug#35758: Build failure with Emacs master branch

From: David Kastrup <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2019 23:11:05 +0200

Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]> writes:

> Arash Esbati <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> Hi Arash,
>
>>> Anyway, `update-file-autoloads' allows to specify the autoload file
>>> as third argument instead of binding `generated-autoload-file', so
>>> I'm using that now.  Pushed to master.  I'm closing this issue.
>>
>> thanks for fixing this.  It was also reported by Vladimir[1] and I'm
>> CC'ing him to let him know that this issue is resolved.  I was also
>> thinking about a similar solution :-)
>
> Ah, I haven't read that.  But now after reading that commit e08e0880f9's
> message which Vladimir mentioned in his report, it all makes sense now.
> Before I couldn't understand what's going on because autoload.el uses
> lexical binding since 2012 according to its local variables prop line
> (is lexical binding in Emacs really that old?).

The local variables prop line would have to have been added in the
lexical binding _branch_ already before getting folded into Emacs
proper.  But 7 years is short in Emacs development times.  I don't think
it's been much younger since it was all-in.

-- 
David Kastrup