Subject: Re: bug#35739: Bad signature from GNU ELPA

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 May 2019 14:38:56 -0400

>> > I'm okay with documenting what that produces somewhere
>> That would be a big help,
> Where would you like this to be documented?

Any place is fine by me (including a comment in a C file).
But I guess it would be better in Texinfo somewhere so we can point to
it more easily.

> Btw, in two different messages in this thread you mentioned two
> different situations.  One is this:
>> document what it means to insert decoded text into a unibyte buffer
> The other is this:
>> I don't know what decoding text into a unibyte buffer will do

[ Indeed, I corrected myself along the way.  ]
I'm mostly interested in the second, because I think I know what the
first does (tho I think what it does is basically flawed, a holdover
from the Emacs-20/21 days where most code was so hopelessly confused
about chars-vs-bytes that it was a good idea to try and patch things
over so it at least keeps working for environments like latin1 and
koi-r, but nowadays we'd be better off signaling errors to try and fix
the remaining confusion).

        Stefan