Subject: bug#35739: Bad signature from GNU ELPA

From: Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2019 18:04:47 -0400

retitle 35739 [w32] Bad signature from GNU ELPA for archive-contents
quit

Richard Copley <[email-masked]> writes:

> Recipe from 'emacs -Q': [M-x package-list-packages RET].
>
> Symptoms: The package list is displayed but an *Error* buffer pops up:
>
> Failed to verify signature archive-contents.sig:
> Bad signature from 474F05837FBDEF9B GNU ELPA Signing Agent (2014) <
> [email-masked]>
> Command output:
> gpg: Signature made 05/14/19 22:10:03 GMT Summer Time
> gpg:                using DSA key CA442C00F91774F17F59D9B0474F05837FBDEF9B
> gpg: BAD signature from "GNU ELPA Signing Agent (2014) <
> [email-masked]>" [unknown]

> gpg (GnuPG) 2.2.11

> In GNU Emacs 27.0.50 (build 7, x86_64-w64-mingw32)
>  of 2019-05-12 built on MACHINE

I can reproduce on my Windows machine, but not on GNU/Linux.  Maybe some
line endings are getting converted?

I also noticed that doing (setq package-check-signature nil), M-x
package-refresh-contents, (setq package-check-signature t), lets
packages be installed successfully.  It's only the archive-contents that
fails to verify.