Subject: bug#35737: xref--original-command

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2019 02:44:04 +0300

On 28.05.2019 23:30, Juri Linkov wrote:

>> Anyway, I was hoping my efforts in improving the default behavior would
>> benefit your goals as well, but it seems the split between xref--show-xrefs
>> and xref--show-defs goes against them. That's too bad.
> 
> Thanks for your efforts.  Your recent changes would be useful for other goals,
> e.g. making the xref output to use grep-like output format.

Not sure what you mean, but if you mean altering the behavior for 
all-commands-except-xref-find-definitions, then sure. Not sure why you 
think the split is helpful for this but not your present goal, though.

>> So, to clarify, you're not interested in changing the *visible* default
>> behavior, at least for now?
> 
> No, not a visual change this time.  I'd also close bug#33992 because
> it's also leading nowhere.  But maybe your recent patch with
> xref--definitions-buffer-mode is an improvement, I don't know.

That patch is a lateral move, to make experimenting with this particular 
behavior change easier. I've installed in the meantime.

> I'm looking at xref from customization's point of view, and I see no more
> improvements that could simplify xref customization.

OK. If you have any further ideas, please don't hesitate to bring them up.